• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Greetings from Canada!

Canadian_Osprey

G'day everyone!

A little introduction of myself...I'm in the early 40s and getting ready for a new challenge - setting up a printing and signage(yesss...another one!) business. I used to work for a Roland dealership back in the early till mid-2000s. My experience in Sales & Marketing and Business Development would certainly come in handy, as well as being technically-inclined. I migrated to Canada back in 2008 but my previous work experience & academic credentials didn't really matter - in the real world.

I swapped out my shirts & ties, put on coveralls and started out as general labourer in the oil and gas industry. After a couple of years, my ex-boss offered me a CNC operator job which I gladly took up. Did pretty ok but since it wasn't a trade, my wages were somewhat on the lower end. The turning point came in 2012 and got a job offer from CAT and they promptly signed me up as an apprentice heavy equipment tech. I finally got my Journeyman ticket( i consider myself average compared to my peers) last year...it's been over a year and i found myself wanting to seek a new challenge - i knew throwing wrenches isn't my cup of tea.

Since young, I'd gone through lots of hardships and learnt the hard way. I have never shy away from any challenges. With that being said, I will not take this new challenge lightly. The stakes are so high, considering I have a supportive wife and two young daughters who are standing 101% behind me. I had set aside some funds to get this new business up and running...as such, I signed up this forum with an open mind and hope to learn from you gentlemen who are achievers in the print and signage industry. Wish me luck!

Canadian_Osprey

Am currently in the process of shortlisting the hardware lineup. Just most setup, bread and butter services like banner printing and signage will be key BUT would like to diverse into interior design applications, short-run on-demand gifts printing(Roland VersaUV series).

It's a toss between Roland, hp & Mutoh. The TrueVis VG of was leading the pack at one point but after having read some rather negative reviews here and elsewhere, I'm open to others.

Individual preferences and biases plays a part but just wonder how you guys make such tough decisions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ikarasu

Welcome from Vancouver!

Do you have any experience in the sign industry, or are you just starting?

Any other hardware besides a printer on your line up? You'll want a Laminator for sure... Maybe even a cutter.

As for which - Just remember when reading complains, people who complain are 10x louder than people who don't. for every 10 complaints online, you might find 1 person who took the time to login and say what a great machine they have.

So long as you get a name brand, you can't go wrong. HP, Roland, Mutoh all make great machines. Each have their benefits / downfalls... But none so much that it's going to make or break your business plans.

Are you purchasing a space, or operating out of your house / garage to begin with? If the latter, I'd suggest a Latex for sure.

Canadian_Osprey

Welcome from Vancouver!

Do you have any experience in the sign industry, or are you just starting?

Any other hardware besides a printer on your line up? You'll want a Laminator for sure... Maybe even a cutter.

As for which - Just remember when reading complains, people who complain are 10x louder than people who don't. for every 10 complaints online, you might find 1 person who took the time to login and say what a great machine they have.

So long as you get a name brand, you can't go wrong. HP, Roland, Mutoh all make great machines. Each have their benefits / downfalls... But none so much that it's going to make or break your business plans.

Are you purchasing a space, or operating out of your house / garage to begin with? If the latter, I'd suggest a Latex for sure.

Hi,

I used to work 4-5yrs with a Roland dealership back home. Having dealt with the sign industry but that's like in the early to mid 2000s. I would like to take it as I'm new albeit with some industry knowledge. I have the Roland GR-640 and Ezy Taper(may change my mind and get a standalone laminator)on the list.

I'm leasing, just pending reply from landlord. Seems like Mutoh might make it to my list. I'm pro-Roland but the TrueVis VG seemed iffy and I'm not taking any chances.

ikarasu

I'd get a laminator. Doing it by hand is always iffy. They're not too expensive. $5200 for a RS laminator. If you get a eco-solvent, you'll likely be laminating everything... so Thats a lot of laminating. You can also mount vinyl to metal/plywood with it... Not the most efficient way, but good to start out with until you get huge orders.

I Don't know much about the cutter. I didn't know Roland made their own cutters! It looks nice. But personally I'd stick with Graphtec or Summa, they're the two "Major" players. Not to say Roland is bad, though!

Other than That... good luck! Lots of knowledgeable people on here, so don't be afraid to pop in and ask questions.

Canadian_Osprey

I'd get a laminator. Doing it by hand is always iffy. They're not too expensive. $5200 for a RS laminator. If you get a eco-solvent, you'll likely be laminating everything... so Thats a lot of laminating. You can also mount vinyl to metal/plywood with it... Not the most efficient way, but good to start out with until you get huge orders.

I Don't know much about the cutter. I didn't know Roland made their own cutters! It looks nice. But personally I'd stick with Graphtec or Summa, they're the two "Major" players. Not to say Roland is bad, though!

Other than That... good luck! Lots of knowledgeable people on here, so don't be afraid to pop in and ask questions.

Hi ikarasu,

I was a little skeptical just relying just on the Ezy Taper and it cost an arm and leg for manual operations. Yes Roland do make good cutters and honestly I love the Summa but the higher end model is nearly double that.

Been busy planning the hardware lineup and I'm hoping to get the place asap so the ball can start rolling. Yes, I agree there are many experts here and I won't hesitate to ask questions.

Cheers mate!