• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grommet machine

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
No.. just load the top and bottom grommet..position it and squeeze. I usually set the bottom handle against the table and lean on it to close the grommet...much easier then squeezing it in your hand.

I like to lay the banner out on the table and walk around doing the grommets. I used to have a table top grommet machine but it was cumbersome moving the banner around a fixed grommet machine.

Pat Whatley

That Clipstep grommet machine is a great paperweight, grommet setter not so much. We have both in the shop. Before we added the Fasnap we would choose using a mallet and hand setting the grommets over trying to make that Clipstep work. The Fasnap is expensive but the damn thing is indestructible and works perfectly every time.

Mark H

Thanks for the replies. If i am going to invest in a more expensive one I should get one that will grommet 3/16 foam core too. Will the Fasnap do the trick?

Mark H

Does it work well? Does it work on thicker material like foam core & coroplast? If you can determine the brand let me know

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Most all grommet machines function identically. Anvil on the bottom, die on the top, push them together deforming the grommet around the reeve. Hard to get a lot of variation here. The one area in which quality is a concern is the level of precision in machining the die. The grommet must slip on but there must be sufficient friction to hold it there and no more. Cheaper presses typically have cheaper dies.

As far as grommets in Coroplast, foamcore, or whatever, if the material is not thicker than the grommet is long plut a bit you can set it. I routinely set self-piercing grommets in 3mm aluminum laminate. No pre-drilling, just punch it right through with no more effort that setting a grommet in a banner.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Hiker makes a great grommeter. Heavy duty, nearly indestructible. Stimpson also makes a good grommeter. Not as well made, but lighter and works really well. As long as you don't abuse it, it'll do you well.

rjssigns

Hiker makes a great grommeter. Heavy duty, nearly indestructible. Stimpson also makes a good grommeter. Not as well made, but lighter and works really well. As long as you don't abuse it, it'll do you well.

I have the Hiker in my shop. Works fantastic. I use a Stimpson at school. It's barely adequate.

bannertime

Agree with Hiker. We've been using a couple since we opened. We've had to replace the rubber gasket once or twice and a die or two because they got lost.

10sacer

I need an economical but good grommet machine. I do not print many banners so I can't justify an expensive machine. I have seen Fasnap mentioned in this forum. I've looked at this one ClipsShop BGTEP XL Grommet Machine

Any suggestions?

Thank
File this under - " things I have learned along the way in this crazy business". Whether you get Hiker or Stimpson or something from a kiosk in China - make sure it has a spring-loaded arm that auto raises up once you have punched the grommet. I know it sounds like such a silly thing - but not having the arm go back up by itself will eventually just piss you off.

2B

Another vote for hiker, for the price cannot be beat

We have a no name, think it is green in color, sitting in the storage closest. the dies do not match up so the grommets never crimp fully