• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grommets vs Eyelets

struthmuffin

There are multiple interpretations out there.. so I am referring to grommets as two piece, grommet and washer. And eyelets being one piece.

We currently, and have always finished banners with metal grommets (two piece).. I have a shop need to get a machine to do eyelets (one piece) and was thinking maybe to switch to a semi auto eyelet machine for the job I need, and for banners ongoing into the future.

Curious of anyone else's take on that.. are you using eyelets? Are there issues with them? Is there a good reason to stick with the 2 piece grommet?

Thanks!

struthmuffin

what's an eyelet? Why not grommets?
Well generally by most peoples definition an eyelet is a little different, there is no washer on the back, the top side goes through, and spreads/locks on the back by itself... one piece, one load.. quicker and easier.. grommets work great, just considering the option since we need an eyelet machine for a print job we have.. not doing 5000 manual grommets haha.

I'm having trouble finding any information about these one piece eyelets, but if they're anything like leather/fabric eyelets, I'd assume they crimp on the back side of the banner. If that's the case, I'd also presume that the sharp edges on the back of the eyelets would tear into the scrim material much easier. A two piece grommet has the washer to insulate the torn and crimped metal edges from tearing into the banner. That being said, I wouldn't even consider using eyelets. I'd say there's a good reason why grommets seem to be the industry standard.

struthmuffin

I'm having trouble finding any information about these one piece eyelets, but if they're anything like leather/fabric eyelets, I'd assume they crimp on the back side of the banner. If that's the case, I'd also presume that the sharp edges on the back of the eyelets would tear into the scrim material much easier. A two piece grommet has the washer to insulate the torn and crimped metal edges from tearing into the banner. That being said, I wouldn't even consider using eyelets. I'd say there's a good reason why grommets seem to be the industry standard.
Absolutely good point. And yes your description is correct. I have seen a couple videos of people actually using them on reinforced edge banners (banner tape fold over) so I was curious if anyone had used them.

I do expect you are correct that it is very likely it would reduce the strength of the banner material by cutting into it.. that was what I was hoping to hear an opinion on for sure.