• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question GS15 plus roller cleaning

Marie

Now that we have the inside of our GS15 plus clean, I am working on the outside of it today. What do you recommend cleaning the rollers with? I don't want to end up with sticky, gummy rollers! THANKS :)

Jburns

I would use a mild soap and water, and manually remove any stuck pieces of vinyl. Alcohol based solvents will most likely turn your hard drum and roller sticky and melt it.

Here are some tips from Gerber:

Maintenance Tip # 1
Regular cleaning and maintenance are the keys to your Gerber plotter running like new. We suggest
you incorporate them into you regular routine at a time that’s convenient for you. Once a day, give your
plotter a quick cleaning by wiping off all residue with a lightly oiled damp rag. Once a week, a more
thorough cleaning is in order. First clean the sliding sprocket, bail arms, rear way and front way with an
alcohol dampened rag to remove dust and dirt. next lubricate these parts with a lightly oiled damp rag.
(No WD40) Recommended oil is 3 in one only.
It’s also important to cover your plotter at the end of the day and when it’s not in use. This protects it
from environmental dust, dirt and debris that can eventually affect its performance. If you notice poor
cutting quality, non-precise tracking, X, Y, Z or theta axis problems, or overheating due to poor
ventilation, your plotter may simply need a good cleaning.
You can find additional information or specific maintenance procedures for your plotter in the
maintenance section of your owner’s manual.
Look for the Plotter Maintenance Tip in the future issues of The Vinyl Word. If you have a tip or trick
you’d like to share, please send it to us.
Maintenance Tip # 2
Maintenance Tip #1 focuses on the importance of keeping your Gerber plotter properly cleaned for
optimum performance. Once a plotter has been cleaned properly it must also be properly lubricated for
best results. The most important areas to be lubricated are where metal touches metal, or where
smooth, unimpeded movement is necessary. More specifically the way bars, floating bail assembly,
floating sprocket assembly, ball bushing housing assembly, and carriage bushings. (Exceptions to this
rule are the tool holder and spindle bar. No lubrication is needed in this area, just a thorough cleaning.)
It is extremely important to remember that an excess of oil can be as detrimental as having no oil at all.
Proper oiling consists of applying a light film of one or two drops of oil. Excess oil will drip into places
where it shouldn’t be and may cause premature wear, or a sensitive electronic component to short out.
It is also vital to remember that oil that has been on the plotter parts for some time will start to get
gummy form impurities it has absorbed and from a breakdown of viscosity. It must be removed before a
new coat of oil is applied. For detailed directions on what and where to oil, refer to the maintenance
section of your users manual, and of course, if you have questions or need further assistance, call the
Field Service Department toll free number at 1-800 828-5406.

FunkotronXL

Lightly scrub with a damp rag advancing the roller gradually. Damp, not wet, as you don't want any drips getting into places they shouldn't be. An old wash cloth or rag works well, you'll get tiny fabric bits that you can blow or brush off. Most stuff clinging to the roller should come off easily unless you were running a material with a rubber purposed adhesive.

Avoid solvents and harsh cleaners or you may damage the rubber. Do not use isopropyl alcohol, it will degrade and crack the roller over time.