• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gs6000 Printhead Clean Or Replace?

nosaj01

I have a GS6000 that I've run mostly trouble free for over 5 years. The black channel started going out a few months ago and before researching it, I purchased Epson's cleaning cartridges and ran a headwash on the black channel. The black channel got worse as I now understand this has happened to a lot of people.

1) I've read that I can install an inline ink filter to help stop the junk ink from collecting in the printhead. (What is the part number?)

2) Should I try removing the printhead and sucking out the ink and then running in a basic ultrasonic cleaner with solution?

3) If it's worth trying to clean the head would someone please give the detailed method to do it?

4) If I remove/clean or replace the printhead will I need software to realign the heads? If so would someone send it to me?

5) I've considered swapping reader chips from a black ink tank over to a cleaning cartridge and running it till it runs clear. Is this a bad idea?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Misho

Hello
did you make your idea of swapping the Reader Chips from Black to Cleaning Cartridge??
Please give your reply .. i'm stuck in the same issue after spending a lot of money on this printer... thanks

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
We recently had our drive belt break. You know the silver metal one that moves the head back and forth! Well it took about 1 1/2 weeks to get. Installed the new belt and our black would not print. Tried cleanings, cleaning cartridges no luck.

Ended up putting in a new head. I'd say call Epson, have a new head installed AND while they do that they should put in a filter as well. We have them on our machines.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have a GS6000 that I've run mostly trouble free for over 5 years. The black channel started going out a few months ago and before researching it, I purchased Epson's cleaning cartridges and ran a headwash on the black channel. The black channel got worse as I now understand this has happened to a lot of people.

1) I've read that I can install an inline ink filter to help stop the junk ink from collecting in the printhead. (What is the part number?)

2) Should I try removing the printhead and sucking out the ink and then running in a basic ultrasonic cleaner with solution?

3) If it's worth trying to clean the head would someone please give the detailed method to do it?

4) If I remove/clean or replace the printhead will I need software to realign the heads? If so would someone send it to me?

5) I've considered swapping reader chips from a black ink tank over to a cleaning cartridge and running it till it runs clear. Is this a bad idea?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1) The dampers, which are standard parts on the machine, are in line filters. So you don't need to add anything but you might want to change the dampers as they are recommended to be changed once a year.

2) Ultra sonic cleaners are a scam and don't work any better than a manual flush. You could flush the channel with a syringe and cleaning solution but this is a last resort type procedure because it is possible to damage the head permanently while doing this. It clears the nozzles about 50% of the time I would say depending on how clogged they are and how old the head is. You may be able to flush it while in the machine but I have never done it on that model so I am not sure how easy it would be without taking the head out.

3) I normally fill an Altoids can half full with solution and rest the head on the can so the nozzle plate is suspended in the solution for about an hour. Then I flush the head with a syringe and cleaning solution until the solution sprays out nice and even from each nozzle. You can actually see the nozzles that aren't firing while the solution sprays out. Once they all spray correctly, you can reinstall and hope for the best.

4) You will need to realign the head and I believe there is software for it but I have never done it on that model so I can't help you much there. Most machines I work on with those same heads do the alignments all on the machine with no software but Epson likes to make things harder for some reason!

5) I have heard of people doing this with success but it has never worked for me. It may put stress on the head due to the head being calibrated to move thicker ink through but that's just me speculating. It's worth a shot if you are prepared to purchase a new head anyway.

Misho

1) The dampers, which are standard parts on the machine, are in line filters. So you don't need to add anything but you might want to change the dampers as they are recommended to be changed once a year.

2) Ultra sonic cleaners are a scam and don't work any better than a manual flush. You could flush the channel with a syringe and cleaning solution but this is a last resort type procedure because it is possible to damage the head permanently while doing this. It clears the nozzles about 50% of the time I would say depending on how clogged they are and how old the head is. You may be able to flush it while in the machine but I have never done it on that model so I am not sure how easy it would be without taking the head out.

3) I normally fill an Altoids can half full with solution and rest the head on the can so the nozzle plate is suspended in the solution for about an hour. Then I flush the head with a syringe and cleaning solution until the solution sprays out nice and even from each nozzle. You can actually see the nozzles that aren't firing while the solution sprays out. Once they all spray correctly, you can reinstall and hope for the best.

4) You will need to realign the head and I believe there is software for it but I have never done it on that model so I can't help you much there. Most machines I work on with those same heads do the alignments all on the machine with no software but Epson likes to make things harder for some reason!

5) I have heard of people doing this with success but it has never worked for me. It may put stress on the head due to the head being calibrated to move thicker ink through but that's just me speculating. It's worth a shot if you are prepared to purchase a new head anyway.

Hi
Do u think i can soak the head nozzle area in Amonia Solution for a night or two can work?

Also please help me on how to get the printhead out of the machine .. i didn't make it before and it seems it needs a guide step by step to not damage anything.
Thanks in advance

avogadro

If you don’t mind me asking what kind of solution is it that they get soaked in . Right from the manufacturer or is it something obtainable locally? I’m having the same issue. Thank you

nosaj01

Hello
did you make your idea of swapping the Reader Chips from Black to Cleaning Cartridge??
Please give your reply .. i'm stuck in the same issue after spending a lot of money on this printer... thanks

I was able to swap chips but it wasn't worth it. I recommend having Epson send someone out to replace the heads. While at it, they replaced the sub-tank for the black ink and added an inline filter. This service ran about $5,000 but got me back up and running.