• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Guarantee cut vinyl banner ?

Jeremiah

How long do any of you guarantee a cut vinyl banner ? What do you tell the client as they are leaving with it ?

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
what do you mean by cut? You cut the banner out? Is it a scrim banner? if it is, I wouldn't guarantee it at all. If it is not being used as the intent, I wouldn't guarantee it at all.

CanuckSigns

If you are installing it I would offer something like 6 months, if they are installing it it comes with a tail light warranty.

Jeremiah

Customer walks into your shop wants a banner you quote 50.00 100.00 whatever. What do you tell them about your banner you have sold them ? Or let's say they return 1 month later the vinyl not held up
What do you tell them ? That is the real question.

rjssigns

Customer walks into your shop wants a banner you quote 50.00 100.00 whatever. What do you tell them about your banner you have sold them ? Or let's say they return 1 month later the vinyl not held up
What do you tell them ? That is the real question.

Never had that issue as I don't sell inferior products. I never use less than 13oz scrim with 1" hems and real brass grommets every two feet. Been doin' them like that for 30+ years with no call backs.

I don't offer a warranty with a banner. It's a well known fact to be a temporary type of sign. If someone asks how long will it last I will ask them back how long do you need it to last? That's the whole deal right there. You don't buy a product made to last a short amount of time and then get upset if it wears out in a normal timeframe and not last forever. If they ask me I will tell them this baner will last a year or two. If for some reason an act of God, vandalism or some other problem out of my control takes places its on you. If there is some kind of problem with the workmanship or vinyl not caused by an outside force I will stand behind it within a reasonable amount of time but not even 6 months. People are devious and might have hit it with high pressure hoses or left it folded up for weeks before they mounted it.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
If the vinyl failed after 1 month.....I'd say it's on you for a) using vinyl b) not using vinyl that will last more than a month.

That's assuming it wasn't poorly fastened and flapped enough to ruin the graphics....which with customer installed banners is a big possibility.

Really it depends on how good of a customer it is and if you want to keep their business. That $20 it might cost you to make it right might cost you thousands down the road, but I would try to learn something from this and maybe warn customers that they don't come with a "warranty" once they leave the door.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
In my first sign shop job we didn't have an outdoor printer so we made all of our banners with cut vinyl. Biggest one I made was 25' x 5' to hang under a billboard. Lasted about 5 years before noticeable vinyl cracking etc.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, when we used to hand paint them, I always said..... the biggest problem with a banner is if it's not mounted/installed properly and periodically re-tightened. Nothing worse than a banner flapping itself to death.

Hollywoodsigns

Designer, printer
improper installs and poor storage are the 2 biggest things that will kill a banner. I have installed 8oz banners with Cal+ vinyl only hemed on the ends that lasted 5 years.(back in the 90's) A customer has purchased 19 oz dig printed banners with welded 1" hems that only lasted 2 months because they only used the 4 corner grommets.