• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Guess a pack of Marlboro's are included in the food group here in Pennsylvania

Status
Not open for further replies.

slappy

Just was at Sheetz for lunch and watched a chick get a pack of cigarettes with her PA ACCESS food stamp card. $6.22 WTH:help I support my own dang horrible habit with Newports and now just found out i'm supporting others smoking too. Kinda pi$$ed at the moment.

Sorry, venting... but thoughts on this

Bigdawg

Just Me
If you get child support (without a bank account) or any cash benefits - they are loaded onto the same card. She wasn't using EBT benefits, more likely she was using the cash on the card. With the cards, it will ONLY let you spend food stamps on allowable food.

ThinkRight

Just was at Sheetz for lunch and watched a chick get a pack of cigarettes with her PA ACCESS food stamp card. $6.22 WTH:help I support my own dang horrible habit with Newports and now just found out i'm supporting others smoking too. Kinda pi$$ed at the moment.

Sorry, venting... but thoughts on this
Welcome to the New AmeriKa
/ spit !
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/store_clerk_fired_for_refusing.html

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/thi...-to-sell-cigarettes-to-a-food-stamp-customer/
The lady deserves a medal !

slappy

thinkright, i did something to that effect when i worked at a grocery store chain in ohio, but wasn't fired

lady 1 came in and bought a ton of crap, living like a queen with filets and all sorts of good stuff. she was with a friend who had a separate buggy.
well friend 2 must have wanted to live like a queen also, loaded all her crap onto my belt, i scanned everything. time to pay, friend 1 comes back with her foodstamp card to pay for friend 2. I told her i couldn't ring her up and to go to another register.
i don't even remember getting into trouble for it, they (management) may have talked to me about the incident, but i wasn't fired over it. This happened maybe back in 2001/02

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have no idea of how the system works.... never being a part of it from that side, but I do remember back in the early '70's cashing my weekly check of about $55 a week and going to the grocery store and after paying bills, utilities and mortgage, I'd have about $20 left over to buy food and have fun with.

What got me was the people in line with shopping karts mounded with all kinds of food and stuff, I could only look at and dream about . They were wearing their 'Mr T' starter kits and then they'd get cigarettes on top of all this with their food stamps. For all I know, what Stacy said could've been true, but it didn't look that way to me standing right next to them and seeing them buy $200.00 worth of food and I could barely afford $15..... and I worked for a living and these people would complain when the welfare checks came a day late :help In fact, some of my paycheck went to them to be pigs and live this fat life while I supported them.

Remember, this was like 40 years ago and prices were much lower than today, but still the system was being manipulated back then and still is to this day. :banghead:
:

Status
Not open for further replies.