• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Half of two heads failing at the same time...

DravidDavid

Hey guys,

A couple of days ago we started having an odd problem with our SJ-1000. All of a sudden half of cyan and half of black started dropping out for no reason. We haven't been able to resolve it and I've listed the steps taken below:

- Performed printer cleaning cycles (which often resulted in a worse result directly after)
- Swabbed heads (more than once)
- Cleaned wipers
- Replaced appropriate cap tops
- Replaced appropriate dampers
- Checked ink levels (all carts are full. We only use genuine Roland ink)
- Checked for air and seal leaks. None were found.

When we replaced the dampers, we drew ink through the lines to remove air and fill the dampers themselves. I don't think it is the ink delivery system or a low ink problem or anything to do with the ink pumps or the ink itself.

Cyan has done 9.2 billion dots according to the printer and black has done 1.7 billion. We are aware that one head (if we have calculated everything correctly) is well past it's 4 billion odd life span. But we felt it was unusual that half of two separate heads with plenty of ink to fire decided to die without reason. It wasn't like the heads struck and we found out afterwards.

After doing a quick search, I found other members with a similar problem, but not totally the same. I saw multiple people suggesting a head soak. I have no idea what this is, but my best educated guess would involve removing the head and soaking it in cleaning solution overnight (8 to 12 hours I believe I saw mentioned) and reinstall the next day?

Any help would be appreciated. I know we may need to bite the bullet and replace the heads. We are prepared to do that, but if we can learn something new with a print head we know is destined for the rubbish anyway, we have nothing to loose! Maybe even practice installing a print head. Haha!

EDIT: Just did another quick search. According to other posts, soaking procedure is simply clamping the capping station drain and filling the capping station with cleaning solution, parking the head and switching the machine off? Obviously removing the ink carts to prevent contamination. Is this the only method? I saw it was a way you could resolve problems, but was the quick way around things. Does anyone have more in depth information on proper soaking procedure? Or have I nailed it?

Attachments

• head_photo.jpg
    head_photo.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 160

player

A head soak is filling the caps with cleaning fluid, then put the heads back into the parked position. You need to pinch off the captops' drain tubes so the fluid does not drain. Turn off printer so the pump doesn't run.

You move the heads on and off the caps with the manual cleaning routine or I have done it with the head height routine.

-Move heads over.
-Pinch tubes.
-Fill caps wit cleaner.
-Move heads back.
-Turn off printer.

If your heads have multiple colours in 1 head you can get cross contamination. I have also pulled out inks after the printer is off to try to stop that.

DravidDavid

Soaking the heads did not appear to work. We still have two half heads that are out. Do I have any other options, other than replacing two heads? It just seems so weird! :(

player

It could be your dampers, the caps (oem or 3rd party? Did you set cap height?), the pump... and then of course the heads.

One thing I have tried is using a syringe to pull ink through the head when it is capped.
Take the drain tube from the cap that is under the problem head, and gently pull ink through the head from that drain tube with a syringe with no needle. You should get some ink. If you hear air hissing or leaking you have a seal problem either at the cap or the damper somewhere. You can use a mechanics stethoscope to really listen for leaks. I bought one for $10 at a discount auto store. Be careful not to pull too hard because there is a membrane that will break in the head and then the head is toast.

Also look for ink leaking around the top of the head by the damper seals.