• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hand cut polystyrene

I have a simple question. Can polystyrene as thick as .060" be cut easily enough with a razor knife? I would just be doing straight cuts, nothing too fancy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you have the right tools, you can do it in one gentle swipe with the proper blade. Using a razor knife, I would feel more comfortable scoring it once or twice before making my final pass for complete penetration.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Yes. You can cut it with a razor knife easily enough. You can either make a couple passes or make one pass and break it, but if you don't go deep enough, you might end up with a rough(ish) edge. A quick pass with sandpaper cleans it right up though (or even just running your knife along the edge).

rdm01

We've got a job on the table cutting 1,000+ small tags from .060" HIPS. A simple score from a #11 and it snaps cleanly. Much easier than cutting 3mm PVC, which is simple enough on its own.