• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hand Painted Septic Truck Tank

rlmercer

Hey everyone,

I have very little experience in the area of hand painted signs. We've been requested to paint the attached graphic on a separate 4200 gallon septic truck tank. A friend in the industry will be painting this for me, but I'm not sure how much to charge the customer. It will be both sides and a small graphic on the back.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Attachments

• DSCN3600 copy.jpg
    DSCN3600 copy.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 196

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I'm not about to break the code of giving numbers out on a public site, but you ought to re-think that layout. It doesn't sell anything but Woody's and I don't think there's a lot of people in that market these days advertising 'woody's' for sale.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Agreed for both of you. But, it's not my layout, and they specifically requested hand painted.

Well, since you have no control and can't do anything , why don't you take this thread into the pricing section where at least outsiders can't see pricing ?? :thumb:

Jillbeans

If you have little or no experience in hand painting signs and vehicle lettering, you need to refer the job to someone who knows how to do it.
What I charge, after 29 years of painting signs, is probably considerably more than a client would be willing to pay someone with little or no experience.
How do you plan to get the artwork on to the truck? Projection? Grid?
Paint mask would be cost-prohibitive.
Prep would also be key.
Do you know anything about which paint you would use? Would it hold up to the cleaning process required on these tanks?
I bid on a truck like this last spring and I think the client had a heart attack, because it is still sitting unlettered.
Love....Jill

CreatedDesigns

I had a septic guy ask my a month ago to repaint and letter his aging tank I told him 6-8k for starters. I mean they pay between 80-120k for the tank they should be willing to pay for lettering and upkeep to help it last as long as possible.

visual800

if you care about your customer you will tell him that logo sux! It does not reflect anything about the septic business. It makes me wanna smoke crack and eat a family size bag of skittles.

IF I had to do that job in all painted I would use bascoat clearcoats and it would be approx $3800.00. It would take 2-3 days to complete. Trust me he wont pay that or wait that long. A digital print placed on both sides I would charge about $2200. it would take about 4-5 hours install

TammieH

I think this is pretty easy, how much is your friend charging you to paint it, then add whatever you are comfortable for a comfortable markup.

But I would think about just turning it over to your friend if you are not touching the job, and maybe your friend will give you a few bucks for finders fee.