• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hanging Sign Help

acothran

Greetings! A friends church had a 3mm Dibond sign with grommets hanging from an existing pole on the building they lease. They bought the sign and hung it but strong winds ripped the grommets out of the Dibond. They have asked me for suggestions of either a stronger and/or thicker substrate or possible a frame that will attach to the pole and hold the substrate.

I have not done a lot of free hanging signs like this so I would like some suggestions. With any overhead hanging sign, safety is the primary concern so I'm trying to help them so this doesn't happen again. They lease the building and the owner doesn't want them to change the pole so I just need suggestions for the actual sign.

Thanks,
Allen

Attachments

• HHCC-Sign.jpg
    HHCC-Sign.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 77

Mosh

How big is it? I would use MDO or .080 Aluminum for a smaller sign (under 4x4).
Whatever you use you need longer straps hooked to the pole, at least 12" down so you have more than just two bolts holding that up. I would put strapps all the way down each end and have 4-5 bolts in each side.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Judging by the bricks, that thing is about a 3' x 3'.

If you want to use the same sign, you need to use hanger straps. This would be a metal bracket with a length of about 6" going down from both eye loops on the bar down over the sign. They would then be bolted with two bolts in each strap to reduce wear on one small area like a grommet does.

Other than that, I agree, MDO would be my choice here and you could use a smaller bracket and still have strength. A second strap, near the bottom connecting a loosely fitted chain to the wall, would also prevent the sign from flinging around too much on a windy day