Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anybody here printed on.....

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Rooster, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    Hahnemuhle torchon with eco solvent inks?

Just wondering if there was any issue of the solvents eating away the paper.

Tags:
  2. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Typically, there is no chemical reaction that occurs between solvents (or 'eco' solvents) and natural fibers like cellulose paper. I would expect the ink to wick into the paper, similar to a sponge, and color will be very fuzzy and muted.

I would be shocked if this combination (ink + media) produced sellable output for watercolor fine art reproduction purposes.

3. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    I've used aqueous medias in the past that didn't wick up the ink as you suggest. For instance using epson's backlit media with a clay coating produced great results with no bleeding of the ink when it hit the clay coating.

As I understand it all the fine art stock for digital print (aqueous) will have a similar ink receptive coating. Do you know of something that affects the art stocks differently than other aqueous treated medias?

I've used a water colour paper from lexjet that was designed for eco solvents, but this client loves the Torchon and doesn't want to switch stocks.

4. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    There is no way to predict the reaction between sol ink and uncoated cellulose paper. In my experience, it has never produced satisfactory results. Your results may vary.