• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Has anyone else seen this before?

ToneCustomSigns

I completed a fleet of vehicles back in August. My customer has come back to me telling me that the vinyl is peeling up and some of the graphics are "falling off". I used Arlon Illumite reflective wrap material with 3270 cast laminate. I have been doing this for 20+ years and I haven't seen laminate do this before. I have a thought as to why this is happening but I would like to get other professional best guesses.

Attachments

• bottom panel.jpg
    bottom panel.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 324
  • hero logo.jpg
    hero logo.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 288
  • star.jpg
    star.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 276

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I would make sure you have all of your records for lot # and such if you can. If those weren't power washed, then the arlon lam flat out failed badly. It almost looks like its tunneling in spots as if the lam was "pushed" on top of your vinyl

ToneCustomSigns

I would make sure you have all of your records for lot # and such if you can. If those weren't power washed, then the arlon lam flat out failed badly. It almost looks like its tunneling in spots as if the lam was "pushed" on top of your vinyl
Thank you. If the laminate was failing, wouldn't it fail all over the truck? I have the top of the cabs wrapped in the same material and that part of the wrap seems to be holding up fine.

unclebun

Did they have ice frozen on them before it happened? Another poster has shown pictures of similar failure with that as the purported cause.

I completed a fleet of vehicles back in August. My customer has come back to me telling me that the vinyl is peeling up and some of the graphics are "falling off". I used Arlon Illumite reflective wrap material with 3270 cast laminate. I have been doing this for 20+ years and I haven't seen laminate do this before. I have a thought as to why this is happening but I would like to get other professional best guesses.
Was the vinyl heated and stretched as it was burnished into the recesses? If the vinyl isn't reset to a new memory point then it will contract when it gets cold and pull up, that's my 2 cents.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
The missing vinyl on the bottom of the door is due to the driver banging his feet every time he gets in and out. You can ignore that, but the laminate failure is disturbing.

Frustrating. Did you laminate hot or cold? This issue has me curious, so the lamination is not bonding to the ink, did you let the print set up before you ran it through the laminator?