• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant Has ANYONE ever heard of this mess................. ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Been replacing quite a few faces in existing cabinets in the last few months. Some we had the old faces to measure and some we just hadda be careful measuring. Had one sign recently, where the one side was almost a whole inch longer (left to right) compared to the other side. Didn't know it, til we were putting them in. The one side fit perfectly, but the other side was a tad short. We shimmed it and got it to fit, but in 47 years, I've never heard of that one. Anyone else ??

:covereyes:

unclebun

Never seen that, but after going to some auction at nearby shops that shut down after a long time in business, and seeing what they used to build signs, accurate cutting and bending does not appear to have always been paramount.

Jayefkay531

We HAVE seen that! It was off by about an inch and noticeable once we took the signface out...had to cut a trapezoid in the new polycarbonate - I chalk it up to the old handmade boxes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Problem is, this sign was originally part of a huge national chain. This particular one, only went in maybe 20 years ago. You guys are talking about signs made in the 40's and 50's and were one offs. These I imagine were mass-produced. I now know to measure both sides of cabinets, if the faces aren't around to measure..Never take that for granted, again.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
No I haven't come across this one yet but thanks for bringing it to my attention because I ALWAYS just measure one side...lol

Jayefkay531

Problem is, this sign was originally part of a huge national chain. This particular one, only went in maybe 20 years ago. You guys are talking about signs made in the 40's and 50's and were one offs. These I imagine were mass-produced. I now know to measure both sides of cabinets, if the faces aren't around to measure..Never take that for granted, again.
Yikes!...somebody messed up big somewhere along the line. At least you were able to get it to work with a shim! This is also why I always measure everything possible instead of just one side or relying on technology (spike)...human error is far too present.

d fleming

Yep, just recently. One side of cab was hinged and the other slid from side. Luckily I checked both while doing survey. The hinged side was an absolute nightmare. Ended up having to totally remove it, repair it on ground an reinstall. You can believe when it needs service I will be going at it from the unhinged side.

equippaint

Still handmade, just not 1 off. Guy on the shear or brake marked an inch off somewhere, material slipped or maybe mistook a scratch for their mark. Then it went right on down the line of couldnt care less. It never gets caught until the last piece goes in..... and doesnt fit.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm a freak when it comes to measuring face-swap sizes. I write down the measurements and in addition to taking photos with the measuring tape on the sign panel so I can OCD over it later. I never trust what I write down so I always recheck it with the photo of the tape measure.

Even when I know I did a good survey... I'm never really relieved until install day when I take the old panel out and match it up with the new one and know that they really are the same size. ;)