• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone Ever Wrapped Something like this PLEASE HELP!!

RyanFelty

Okay so a rep had a meeting with a car dealership the other week about wrapping their front entryway which is made up of metal panels like the picture I am attaching.
upload_2017-5-20_12-54-47.jpeg

This is not the actual one we are wrapping...the one we are wrapping is smaller. We are wrapping the outside in black and then on the inside the panels continue which is also being wrapped in black. As you are walking in the panels above your head and beside you will be wrapped in white. So these have a very smooth painted surface right now and all the recesses are about an inch and a half deep and a half inch or so wide. Customer has requested we use 3m 1080 I believe. I guess my question is do I cut small strips for the recesses and then wrap the panels after that?? Anyone ever done something like this???? If anyone has if you could please give me some incite that would be great! I suggested that this was probably a job that should be painted but we are now committed. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My question would be what you said at the end....... why not get professional commercial painters ??

How can you be committed ?? Did you give a ridiculously low price and now the guy wants to hold you to it ??

hcardwell93

Is this an independent used car lot? Or a Chevy/Toyota/Ford kind of dealer? If corporate doesn't give approval you could find yourself getting stuffed on material and labor if the dealer has gone rogue...

RyanFelty

Just curious why would I need to use dinoc Rather than 1080? I have installed plenty of wraps but I will look into 3m certified installers. This is for a high end BMW, Mercedes, and Audi Dealer in our area which is not a shady used car dealership. Mercedes is requiring them to make this change. They are the place to go in our area for any luxury vehicle. And as for your comment Gino I did not take the meeting and we went extremely high on the quote which was over 5 times higher than the paint quote they got. He wants it wrapped rather than painted. All I was looking for was to see if anyone has done anything like this... If not that is fine.

Last edited:

hcardwell93

Your idea of half inch strips sounds about right.

Those panels will get hot to the touch with sunlight so I dont know how that will affect the air release properties of the vinyl.

jaylem

Your idea of half inch strips sounds about right.

Those panels will get hot to the touch with sunlight so I dont know how that will affect the air release properties of the vinyl.
Shade it or schedule around direct sunlight hours. Air release well but good bye reposition, in my experience with direct sunlight.

RyanFelty

Cool Guys thanks for the input. I was planning on doing the exterior stuff in the morning or on days that are cooler and then do the interior during the heat of the day. I have done a lot of architectural film application on interiors wrapping composite panels and such but new have wrapped an exterior like this.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
1. Cut strips approximately 1/8" wider than the width of the resessed areas and install these first.

2. Cut pieces to cover the face, return plus 1/4" of bleed to cover where it will overlap the recessed area.

3. Cut from the corner out at a 45 degree. You will have (2) triangles at each corner to fold on to the returns. For the bottom corners, fold bottom up and sides down. For the top, fold sides up and top down.

Have extra material on hand during the install

3M 1080 will be just fine.

ArkansasSign

We do these every October for breast cancer awareness. Check out my Instagram @strictlystickystuff. There's some in-progress pictures a few months back. We literally just take up a roll and drop it down. It was hot but it was fine, they didn't care about seams because it was temp. The Buick dealership we did the same way but the panels were shorter than 60 so it worked out without seams.