• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has this happened to anyone?

Signmaker1234

Attempting to apply some large graphics on a 15 year old trailer with graphics the customer purchased online, it's 3m digitally printed , it has air release. The problem is when the graphic touches anywhere and needs repositioning (before it's squeegeed) it removes the paint? Any recommendations? Painters masking tape even removes the paint!

papabud

Lone Wolf
yes at this point the paint has failed and needs to be repaired or the graphics will fail also.
happens to me all the time. an easy fix is scrap or sand the paint to remove any loose paint, hit it with some primer and then apply the graphics. if its just the powder from oxidation. that needs buffed with rubbing compound.

Hutchextreme

Are you able to get the peeled paint off the back of the vinyl? It seems to me that it would be a nightmare to get off as it would just break and chip into tiny pieces.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
hehe... had some graphics to put on a used cube van -- when the van arrived, it looked really nice. Great, I thought, but first things first, I'll just throw the tare/gvw weights on before I start... and good thing, too... applied, squeegeed, and went to peel off the premask and the paint came with it!

Turned out they have driven the van straight from the paint shop, plus, it looked like they hadn't even sanded before painting -- authentic scumbaggery.

Ultimate13

hehe..
Turned out they have driven the van straight from the paint shop, plus, it looked like they hadn't even sanded before painting -- authentic scumbaggery.

We often letter cars in the paint booth minutes after they are dry. Premask taking the paint is most always a prep problem trying to get cheap and skip a step, sanding being skipped as you mention. Even etching primer doesn't work every time. Some painters don't care anymore... It can be such a pain if you don't know who did the work or how it was done.

2B

recently did a car that was driven straight from dealer, paint looked pristine didn't think anything about it and went to re position the door graphics and the paint peeled off with the graphics.
come to find out that the car was a wreck and while the paint was matched perfectly it was shoddy job that the dealer failed to mention the wreck portion

always be on the safe side and check the surface before sticking, never take their word on how good the paint is.
Even new cars are suspect, guy came in with a less than 6 month old truck and had random paint chips coming off

DaveD

More times that I can mention. It always makes you feel bad when you have to make the call but the bottom line is adhesive shouldn't pull off paint if done correctly. I've found that paint is getting so expensive that some auto body shops are saving money by not taking the time to prep properly. I've never had a customer ask me to pay for the damage so I've never had a conflict.