• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hate to knit-pick but......

Shovelhead

a particular style often requested for identification is a "typeface" and not a "font". A "font" refers to a specificic size of something typeset within of "typeface. The signs101 thread should be changed to "typeface" and not "fonts".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well Shovel, although you might've been correct 30 or 40 years ago, it has always bugged me too, that people call typefaces.... fonts. Splitting hairs now, since the computer has become an everyday tool for most sign shops and typesetters and scalable fonts are available, the word has taken on new meaning. Font is no longer size-specific, but still refers to a single style, but one typeface alone at a time.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Well of course!! It's a metonymy, dang I shoulda known that.

Actually it's synecdoche not metonymy. Synechoche is using a part of something to refer to the thing itself, as in 'hired hand' for a workman. Metonymy is using something associated with something but not a part of it to refer to the thing, as 'step on the gas'. All metonymy is synecdoche but not all synecdoche is metonymy.

If you're going to play with rhetorical devices, try to keep them straight.

Pat Whatley

Fine...instead of telling people that they're looking for BODONI you can tell them that their sample font is 12 pt BODONI

I'm sure I've got a point/pica ruler around here somewhere if you need me to send it to you but you're going to have to figure out how to scale it around monitor sizes.

gabagoo

Actually it's synecdoche not metonymy. Synechoche is using a part of something to refer to the thing itself, as in 'hired hand' for a workman. Metonymy is using something associated with something but not a part of it to refer to the thing, as 'step on the gas'. All metonymy is synecdoche but not all synecdoche is metonymy.

If you're going to play with rhetorical devices, try to keep them straight.

BOB!!! ya kill me ....... now in english?

Bigdawg

Just Me
Hate to knit-pick...

but it's nitpick... as in pulling lice eggs from hair...

just sayin' since we are getting so particular...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hate to knit-pick...

but it's nitpick... as in pulling lice eggs from hair...

just sayin' since we are getting so particular...

Yeah, I think it's just the Christmas skeleton crew at work and there's nothing better to do than watch grass grow or mess with peoples' minds, but then we have our own bob from earth for that.... and for that, I'm most grateful or is it greatful or regretful ?? :frustrated:

Billct2

From wikipedia
However, the term font is also often used as a metonym for typeface.

Metonymy and synecdoche
Synecdoche, wherein a specific part of something is used to refer to the whole, is usually understood as a specific kind of metonymy. Sometimes, however, people make an absolute distinction between a metonym and a synecdoche, treating metonymy as different from rather than inclusive of synecdoche. There is a similar problem with the usage of simile and metaphor.

When the distinction is made, it is the following: when A is used to refer to B, it is a synecdoche if A is a component of B and a metonym if A is commonly associated with B but not actually part of its whole.

Thus, "The White House said" would be a metonym for the president and his staff, because the White House (A) is not part of the president or his staff (B) but is closely associated with them. On the other hand, "20,000 hungry mouths to feed" is a synecdoche because mouths (A) are a part of the people (B) actually referred to.

One example of a single sentence that displays synecdoche, metaphor, and metonymy is: "Fifty keels ploughed the deep", where "keels" is the synecdoche as it names the whole (the ship) after a particular part (of the ship); "ploughed" is the metaphor as it substitutes the concept of ploughing a field for moving through the ocean; and "the deep" is the metonym, as "depth" is an attribute associated with the ocean.

...hope that clears it up...

Rodi

Fonts, typefaces, its all in a name and a time period. Who really cares? My new program LXi Master Plus has sizing in inches… does it really matter, other than paying homage to a great tradition?

signage

Aw shovel must have been knitting his socks when he tought this one up and posted that is why he typed knit-pick:ROFLMAO:

astro8

it's nitpick and I remember typefaces starting to be referred to as fonts around the time Gerber started selling 'font cartridges'...then font seem to take over typeface in general sign talk....

added...I'm quite sure typesetters used to use the term 'type'...bob can clarify this.