• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Have a need for some ideas...............................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have a customer who gets all kindsa things from us from magnetics, to banners to window decorations. Gonna be doing some trucks for them in the near future, but he came in today with a request, that I'm kinda at a loss for.

They have on their premises a 53' tractor trailer. Just the trailer portion. They will be slowly filling it up with used stuff and once full, it will be hauled away and another trailer will take it's place.

They wanna put about a 7' x 25' banner on it, but can't screw it fast and velcro won't work. A snap frame won't work, either, as it's not theirs to destroy to any degree. How can we put a sign on it that can just be replaced when changing out the trailers about once every 3 or 4 months ??

:thankyou: Gino

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Large paneled print, like a wall wrap. I'm afraid that's the only option if you can't attach one single fastener. Use cheap removable vinyl. Yeah, they'll have to redo it every time they bring a new trailer. More repeat business!

OhioSigns

Could you do a banner with pole pockets top and bottom and then use ratchet straps that would wrap around the trailer and either attach to the other side of the banner or find something to grab onto beneath the trailer. Maybe a combination of ratchet straps with some double sided tape to keep it from shifting would work? Without using fasteners that job sounds like a liability if it were to come off and do damage or cause an accident.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Around here, unless you are an authorized billboard company, you cannot work on billboards. That was put into effect about 30 years ago. Don't know if it's statewide, but how it is on the eastern side of the state.

This rachet-type system or just tying it on sounds like the way to go.

jimbug72

This suggestion might seem lame, but could you not put a sign/signs/ on posts and park the trailer behind/between the sign(s)?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This suggestion might seem lame, but could you not put a sign/signs/ on posts and park the trailer behind/between the sign(s)?

Nope. At that size, with posts buried in the ground or even a sled setup, it would be considered permanent and not meet codes. The banner on the trailer is considered temporary. It is a way around the codes, but it works. Besides to get a 25' long sign installed... that would take quite a bit of installation and costs.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, it wasn't a lame idea. It was one I also considered, until I thought of the logistics.

Reveal1

I guess you don't do a lot of billboards Gino? Order this from a billboard company with pockets, get some pvc and unions for the perimeter, make cuts every 4' or so for ratchet straps (husky straps are currently the cheapest that still work) hook the strap through the hole around the pvc, hook it to the edge of the truck or an opposing strap.
Either that or just print up some really long magnets, but I can't guess the cost on that much mag material.

I can count number of times I've seen billboard faces get blown down off a framed billboard on one hand. (One's without a backer to keep wind off the back of the face are a different story.) We use maybe 20 straps on a 12x42 billboard face, straps usually last two change outs, so 2 years.

Yeah, those special magnets made for aluminum work great.

Reveal1

Oh yeah? I'd swear they used to be skinned with sheet metal. I know the consumer trailers are all aluminum...

Well, I'm inspired by the guys who invented knifeless tape and sold it to 3m so I'm working on my aluminum magnet patent. When ready will crowd fund and S101 members will get first crack.

Greg Kelm

www.cheetaprint.com
Oh yeah? I'd swear they used to be skinned with sheet metal. I know the consumer trailers are all aluminum...

Even if they're non-ferrous, you can still use magnet with a cheap throw away piece of scrap metal on the inside. Being this customer is going to fill the container, I doubt they'll want to recover those pieces. A flat, iron-frame, that can be pulled out afterwards might work too. 60 magnets with a holding force of 75lbs, I bet it'll hold, but that's just me.

netsol

gino,
i know what i would do
on every trailer i have seen, there are rows of rivets
lets push our luck a little
if you wsnt to be lazy, drill and install nutserts (a pop rivet with threded center that accepts a screw) in line with the rivets, no one will notice

or
selectively drill out a couple of their rivets and replace with nutserts

or
drill out the center of the existing rivets, as needed suspend your banner, then replace with a screw to fill the hole when they swap out the trailer

repeat as needed

Chris Keena

Have a customer who gets all kindsa things from us from magnetics, to banners to window decorations. Gonna be doing some trucks for them in the near future, but he came in today with a request, that I'm kinda at a loss for.

They have on their premises a 53' tractor trailer. Just the trailer portion. They will be slowly filling it up with used stuff and once full, it will be hauled away and another trailer will take it's place.

They wanna put about a 7' x 25' banner on it, but can't screw it fast and velcro won't work. A snap frame won't work, either, as it's not theirs to destroy to any degree. How can we put a sign on it that can just be replaced when changing out the trailers about once every 3 or 4 months ??

:thankyou: Gino
3M Dual Lock

Andy D

If draping a banner over the trailer won't work for some reason, the only thing else I can think of is
a floor vinyl that I use, you can;
put it down with just your hands, without any tools.
pull-up, roll-up & re-apply many times..
If they insist on 7', you would have to do it in two pieces.