• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Have a VG540 coming in this week.. how to set up the inks?

Small sign shop.
Mostly do decals - signs - tshirt heat transfors - no wraps yet
Upgrading from a SP300V

I'm leaning towards dual CMYK for the speeds of the prints
but the CMYK plus lights does sound good for the other colors it can hit.

I'm 99% sure I want to stay away from white.. or do in?

Ragnabrok

no white is a good plan. Im a fan of the 7 colour, with light black, it's still faster than the sp300 with that config, and all the wonderful grays come with it.

CanuckSigns

We have had the VG-640 for about 2 months now, it's set up as dual CMYK and the speed is awesome. We came from a VS-540 and the new Tru-Vis ink has a might larger gamut than eco sol max, colours are much more vibrant, and the ink is dry pretty much right off the printer.

We have had the VG-640 for about 2 months now, it's set up as dual CMYK and the speed is awesome. We came from a VS-540 and the new Tru-Vis ink has a might larger gamut than eco sol max, colours are much more vibrant, and the ink is dry pretty much right off the printer.

As of right now.. thats how we are leaning

Baz

I have a VS-540 set up as double CMYK.

No complaints here about color output compared to CMYKLcLm which i had before on an SC-500.

I chose that config for speed and am very happy with it along with print quality.

trik

We have had our VG-540 a little over a month, running dual CMYK, speed is awesome, colors are awesome......during setup the tech had never setup dual cmyk, they have to connect the lines in the back, and I know there are bulletins on this, so make sure your guy/gal knows this when setting it up. My machine prints everyday and I am extremely happy so far no issues at all!!! Good luck!!!

-Fusion

:Hay: HOG - How did you ink your VG up? Ours is coming in and we still haven't made up our mind on CMYKx2 or CMYKLcLm.

DunbarPG

We got the VG540 about 3 months ago. I had a humongous order to fill right when we got the machine. It hammered that order out and has been great thus far. Currently having some issues with banding in my prints, manually cleaned, and tried several profiles, seems to come and go. Overall, it is a beast of a machine.

Rusty_one

The ink consumption with 7/8 color is much more then print with 4 color. 4C average: 8-9ml/m2, 7c avg: 14-15ml/m2, solid white printing reach 20-30ml/m2. Beautiful but it's too expensive... IMO, install with 2xCMYK

Speedsterbeast

I heard the grays are better with the light configuration. I'd be very interested to know this because I'm ready to pull the trigger on a VG or SG but if the gray is no different I'll save $4000.00 and get the SG. Anyone advice?

CanuckSigns

I heard the grays are better with the light configuration. I'd be very interested to know this because I'm ready to pull the trigger on a VG or SG but if the gray is no different I'll save $4000.00 and get the SG. Anyone advice?

The vg is exactly the same machine as the sg except for speed and the included take up on the vg, so there will be no difference in printing grey between these 2 printers.

Rusty_one

The gray is awesome with light black! The question is worth? 7 colors is 2X ink consumption

Speedsterbeast

The gray is awesome with light black! The question is worth? 7 colors is 2X ink consumption

Can you explain how you'd use twice the ink? That makes no sense to me. I understand that you need to keep more ink in stock, but the printer isn't going to lay down twice the ink on the media is it? Or am I missing something?

CanuckSigns

Can you explain how you'd use twice the ink? That makes no sense to me. I understand that you need to keep more ink in stock, but the printer isn't going to lay down twice the ink on the media is it? Or am I missing something?

No you are correct, the printer uses the same amount of ink, there is a small reduction in speed when going to 7 colour I believe though.

Rusty_one

No you are correct, the printer uses the same amount of ink, there is a small reduction in speed when going to 7 colour I believe though.
What is the diference 4 color and 7 color halftone and ink droplet usage?! Look after this, and you will realize... for example Generic vinyl 1 HQ profile 900x900 7c ink usage is 14,59ml/m2, Generic vinyl 1 HQ 900x900 4C ink usage is only 8,93ml/m2!!! Okay its not duble ink consumaple, but much more significant

Speedsterbeast

That\s a tough decision for me. The extra speed and take up with the VG isn't worth an extra $5000 to me, so I have to decide if the better grays are worth that much