• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Have At It...

Poconopete

The good, the bad, the ugly, all comments appreciated.

Attachments

• sample4.jpg
    sample4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 81

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A few things from where I am……..

• I’m not a big fan of an entire layout or design in italics.
  • I’m also not a fan of using punctuation when words aren’t in sentence form.
  • The dark blue box at the bottom, tends to make it bottom heavy, especially with the copy being so large.
  • I’d probably introduce another type font [a strong one] for the name.
After looking at your layout again…. is the name PRESSURE WASHING or ALCATRAZ CLEANING SERVICES ??

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What Gino said...

Too much of that typeface makes for poor priority reading, a layout needs some rhythm. You should start with a straight typeface, then add the goofy one for some flavor. You have too much goofy.

Too much blue makes it very bottom heavy, maybe cut that blue area in half.

If this is a printed banner, then why not add a little color (very light) to the top?

Allied Digital

what they said... Im really not sure from this - exactly what the name of the business is.
Totally agree though with introducing a second typestyle. My ultimate goal is to keep the reader looking at it - to make the eye go around and around - always coming back.... All italic type makes you want to read right off the sign and not go back

rjssigns

Needs a "hook". Way too much verbage. It looks like you got one of my clients that wanted to write a book. If they won't listen we usually send them packing.
They are afraid that people won't realize how splendiferous they are. So they want to write out every little detail, and they end up with the same thing. Nobody knows what they do because they get tired of reading.

Since the advent of high-speed internet the average attention span is 2.5 to 6 seconds. We were drilled on this when composing effective logos/layouts for my Illustrator class.

I don't mean to wet on your picnic charcoal. But the instructor I had for Illustrator class drilled this into our tiny little skulls. He has won Addy Awards and still has international clients so I trust his expertise.

Poconopete

Soooo adding "Maid Service & Office Cleaning will be a bit of a stretch, eh? LOL
Now look at it from the consumer side. If it just had Comp name, Pressure Washing & contact info would you think they did the auto detailing, office cleaning, maid service...
I've done a bunch of layouts trying to get it all to mesh but-that's why it's here.
Thanks for the replies!
It will be cut vinyl on polymetal. The type style actually fits the real company name but Marquee will probably win out.

Flame

Well in my opinion, I think...

#1 The name needs more focal point. This is who they are...shouldn't it get main priority in most cases?

#2 Why is pressure washing so big? Is that the main thing they want to push?

#3 The font has to go. It's not a horrible font, it just doesn't work here when EVERYTHING is in that italicized font.

I think you just need to mix it up with the fonts and maybe background graphic a little (50/50 cuts are boring and just scream blehhhhhh). Layout with different focal point placement is attached, forgive the gone texas layout, I'm running on 2 hours of sleep here lol.

*edit, and please don't think the license should be that big. Man, .... I should get some sleep before giving advice lol

Attachments

• alcatraz.jpg
    alcatraz.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 113

rjssigns

I am looking at it from a consumer standpoint and it flat does not work.
People have very short attention spans with which we are forced to work.
So here it is:

Alcatraz Cleaning Services
*Pressure Washing
*Deck Repairs
*Auto Detailing
323-126-4567

Licensed and Insured in sub-text under phone number.

Boom! Cleaned that right up. Time for a cocktail, I'm out.

Poconopete

Pressure washing is their mainstay, the name will also be on the truck doors with tag line and phone.
RJ I know it doesn't work that is why I am here. I also have to give them what they want and not cut all their text out.
Flames layout gave me a fresh idea to go try.
THANKS

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Poc...there's got to be something more appealing than arched text.

Focus on "fore ground, middle ground and back ground".

Your last design does not lead the eye through the layout in a specific manner...my eyeballs are bouncing all over.

And whatever you do, don't put "Stripping" directly beneath "Maid Service".

JB

Dan Antonelli

As others stated, work on prioritizing your copy. The revision also lacks priority, and also, has too much copy. Stuff like 'insured' is superfluous. I'd go either web or phone, not both. The problem with clients who want this much copy is they don't seem to understand it's better to have one thing remembered about their services, than none at all.

visual800

all I can read is pressure washing and samplewebsite.com, other than that my mind goes black. All the same font is not good. I would also get them to dump some of the crowdy info. Licenses and insured needs to go! No place for that info on signage NO SIGNAGE! if they want details on the company they can call.

2nd layout, arching is not your freind. it is not attractive nor is it a complement to a layout. all I see is a blue block on the 2nd one. Seems to have nmore lost info than the first. after you lay something out stand back and keep a mind of the first thing you see. Then let your eyes follow around and grab other important stuff: NAME - NUMBER- QUICK DESCRIPTION OF WORK. Im also with Dan on the web and phone at the same time but it sure helped with my layout

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Circleville Signs

When everyone is saying the same thing, it's probably time to listen :)

If the client insists on all that text, then there's no point of continuing to post revisions.

Jillbeans

Try to avoid using all one font, especially a casual or a display font.
On your second revision, you are using two casual fonts which is the same as using two different scripts in the same layout.
My go-to font on something like this, when someone wants 6 pounds of sh!t in a five pound bag, is Impact for the subcopy.
Love....Jill

ucmj22

Try to avoid using all one font, especially a casual or a display font.
On your second revision, you are using two casual fonts which is the same as using two different scripts in the same layout.
My go-to font on something like this, when someone wants 6 pounds of sh!t in a five pound bag, is Impact for the subcopy.
Love....Jill

I have also found a pleasant alternate for impact called Haettenschweiler

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
A few things from where I am……..

• I’m not a big fan of an entire layout or design in italics.
  • I’m also not a fan of using punctuation when words aren’t in sentence form.
  • The dark blue box at the bottom, tends to make it bottom heavy, especially with the copy being so large.
  • I’d probably introduce another type font [a strong one] for the name.
After looking at your layout again…. is the name PRESSURE WASHING or ALCATRAZ CLEANING SERVICES ??

This. Name and phone number should always be the 2 most prominent elements ... if they are not ... the sign is an instant fail. People drive fast and read slow (or are just plain slow) ... and need to know who they are calling and what they should dial.

And what jill said.