• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Have you seen plywood lately???

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
They don't even have regular price tags... they are digital now.

20210510_141709.jpg

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Just hope there's no bad hurricanes this year or they will go up even more and bring a lot of things to a halt. Bet a lot of people will be way underinsured too.

Val47

Is this a sign that our $ is loosing value? It's lumber, it's metal, gas, vinyl, food... Everything is costing more. This is getting scary.

ikarasu

See that BC on the front?! Finally something from my province!

Everything is going up due to covid. You guys are getting hosed on plywood because right now there's a tarrif on it.. and most of your lumber comes from BC. Prices have risen here, and our dollar is at a high right now, so factor that all in and plywoods insane for USA.

I can buy a good 2 side plywood for $45 Canadian.... Used to be $35 before covid, so our pricing has gone up. But to $70 usd? Youch... I feel for you guys.

Hope things go back to normal shortly, the economy and pricing on everything seems weird these days.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Is this a sign that our $ is loosing value? It's lumber, it's metal, gas, vinyl, food... Everything is costing more. This is getting scary.
Yup, that's inflation. This is what can happen when money stays too cheap for too long. An overheated economy is just about as bad as one that's in the toilet but this is what everyone wanted so here we are.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Adding trillions and trillions of dollars into the money supply and 0% interest rates were going to do it. Too much $$ out there, too much demand.. and in the end the poor are going to suffer for all that free money in the form of things costing twice as much. I've been booking travel the last few weeks and costs are skyrocketing. You should see what the daily rate is on a rental car... a 3-4 day rental costs more than the plane tickets!

Val47

Yah, I've been trying to plan a vacation too, on a budget. It's not easy, and availability for lodging is scarce. Probably picked a too popular weekend, but the timing wasn't up to me. Any way... Might be another &#@! Staycation.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yah, I've been trying to plan a vacation too, on a budget. It's not easy, and availability for lodging is scarce. Probably picked a too popular weekend, but the timing wasn't up to me. Any way... Might be another &#@! Staycation.

You might have to look around different parts of the country. We usually go to LA and Colorado but both places are unusually high now. Places in GA and FL are still "cheap"

Val47

Nah, just got a new car... Wanna take a road trip.... A few hours east, like Montana. I'd like to find some hot springs... But they are booked. Looking for VRBO places nearby some hotspings...

Val47

We can only "credit" the current POTUS for future results. This Ball started rolling over a year ago.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Are we commenting on the cost of the wood or the quality of the price tag? Looks like a photocopy to me.
A lot of Home Depot's add-on/specials signs here seem to be made in their DIY craft center.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Are we commenting on the cost of the wood or the quality of the price tag? Looks like a photocopy to me.
A lot of Home Depot's add-on/specials signs here seem to be made in their DIY craft center.
It's a digital price tag. Guess the guy in the huge hat with the big black sharpie got tired of changing the prices

Screenshot_20210510-203223_Chrome.jpg

Signs101Admin

Owner
Staff member
We can only "credit" the current POTUS for future results. This Ball started rolling over a year ago.

Maybe you missed the real news about all the redistribution of wealth.....

The Trump economy saw an enormous rise in the incomes of working- and middle-class people, and that marked a sharp break from business as usual. As a Bloomberg article noted: “In 2016, real median household income was $62,898, just $257 above its level in 1999. Over the next three years it grew almost $6,000, to $68,703.” Jon Miltimore at the Foundation for Economic Education added: “Indeed, median household incomes increased from $64,300 to $68,700 in 2018 alone — an increase of $4,400. To put it another way, U.S. incomes increased more in 2018 than the previous 20 years

Val47

I read and watch news. Then I remember that every news source spins the news to fit their agendas. So, grains of salt. I mostly pay attention to what is actually happening around me.

Last edited:

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Our food stores have been upgrading to those only lately. There must be ten thousand tags, someone is making good money. Its even got red colour for sale stickers.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I read and watch news. Then I remember that every news source spins the news to fit their agendas. So, grains of salt. I mostly pay attention to what is actually happening around me.

The whole salt issue is too complex for me to understand.
On one hand cost for a metric ton of salt has increased by around 58%.
On the other hand, the feds are attempting to change things by removing the SALT cap, but the benefits don't look like they will help the average salt using joe.

"While the SALT cap is a top-of-mind issue in some parts of the country, repealing it wouldn’t help most Americans. Instead, those with the highest incomes would benefit the most.
The top 20% of earners would reap more than 96% of the benefits of a SALT repeal, and the top 1% of all earners would see 57% of benefits, according to the Tax Policy Center. The same analysis showed that only 9% of American households would see any benefit from a repeal of the SALT cap." (CNBC quote)

With this in mind will you be issuing a hold or sell order on salt futures?

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
See that BC on the front?! Finally something from my province!

Everything is going up due to covid. You guys are getting hosed on plywood because right now there's a tarrif on it.. and most of your lumber comes from BC. Prices have risen here, and our dollar is at a high right now, so factor that all in and plywoods insane for USA.

I can buy a good 2 side plywood for $45 Canadian.... Used to be $35 before covid, so our pricing has gone up. But to $70 usd? Youch... I feel for you guys.

Hope things go back to normal shortly, the economy and pricing on everything seems weird these days.

Our costs for lumber here in NS have doubled, it's bonkers. It's quite short supply as well... We've had a few sign cradles with alupanel now because it's cheaper than mounting corro to wood.
upload_2021-5-11_10-43-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-11_10-40-9.png
    upload_2021-5-11_10-40-9.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 90

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Yeah lumber prices are crazy. Just dropped $1600 on pressure treated at Home Depot on the weekend, and that was just to reskin my deck! (Structure was fine)

That whole "measure twice, cut once" saying should now be "measure 6 times, cut once, and hope like hell you aren't wasting material!"

I usually just stockpile my extras and find uses for them but I'll be bringing back every last board that doesn't get used.

Apparently composite decking isn't THAT much more than PT anymore. Imagine that!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Plywood here is around $70 also. I just got back from the local roofer. Oh boy, lots of frustration there. They can't get asphalt, there are no drivers so they bought $3000 in tires and are working on their old tanker that hasn't been in action since 2009, driving to Chicago tomorrow. They also can't get chemicals. They also can't get workers. They tell them even though they require a drug test, they are still hired if they fail. 90% of hires don't show up on the first day. He's wild...lots of F bombs LOL They need to stop the extra unemployment and get these losers back to work!

My renter has a new motorcycle but the girlfriend won't work, makes more on unemployment. They can't pay their rent on time, it drives me insane! Starting July 1 I'm implementing a $25 day late fee and raised the rent $25.

I guess the reward for hard work is harder work...for those of us working.