• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Having Trouble BIG TROUBLE Cutting Window Perf Solvex 50/50

paulj1054

Vinyl Express Q54
Mutoh 1204
HP 560

Does anyone have any suggestions as I have tried just about everything in my bag of tricks. Simply the cuts are inconsistent and randomly inaccurate because of the perf holes. Are there any settings on the plotter or should I increase the thickness of the registration marks? I don't know at this point what to do. I am subcontracting and the company I am working with refuses to do full windows because of the liability. I have been fighting this issue for a long time now and I need to figure something out before I go crazy. There is only so much I can do with the design before it no longer works for the customer so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

papabud

Lone Wolf
typically with window perf we don't even bother with running it through a cutter. we just hand cut and done. the cuts for window perf normally don't need to be perfect just look good. also unless your trying to cover a drivers window or front passenger window i don't see why it cant cover the full window. we do that all the time. i would suggest asking other installers if they want the work and will do a full window.

paulj1054

I appreciate the reply Papabud. I wish printing a full window was an option because all of my troubles would go away. I have been in the industry 9 years and I have never cut a rear window but the company I am subcontracting for does contour cut rear windows only covering maybe 20% of the window. I need to come up with a solution for cutting because I know it can be done but how can I do it with consistency. I think the holes in the material are messing with the sensor or eye in the plotter causing inconsistency. Do you know of a way where I can tweek the Q54 to create more consistency?

nate

Either get a flat bed cutter such as a zund or find someone who does (probably the easier, cheaper option)

paulj1054

LOL thats what I have been telling these people that the q54 while a nice plotter it is not precise enough for this little but tricky type of job. Thank you Nate

Anyone else have any advise aside from buying a flatbed plotter

bannertime

I've had no issues cutting 65/35 window perf with my Q64. 1/8in thick marks I believe. I've only had to cut perf in like 6ft lengths. Not sure how long you're cutting. I've even had luck perf cutting window perf, but I wouldn't do it a lot. Could also try having a good bleed.

paulj1054

Thank you for the reply. The bleed is as large as I can make it and it cuts great for some of the logo but towards the end it get all out of wack. Were you using the Graphtec 1 automatic setting with .8 inch mark length and thickness of .02. I was using as I Graphtec automatic 2 and they said to use automatic 1 as it will yield better results but I have yet to see any consistent change.......?
:
WD":pjfasdf

So frustrated

bannertime

Thank you for the reply. The bleed is as large as I can make it and it cuts great for some of the logo but towards the end it get all out of wack. Were you using the Graphtec 1 automatic setting with .8 inch mark length and thickness of .02. I was using as I Graphtec automatic 2 and they said to use automatic 1 as it will yield better results but I have yet to see any consistent change.......?
:
WD":pjfasdf

So frustrated

Yes, use the mark 1. The mark 2 is weird sometimes. No idea why. Don't use the "segment automatic" unless it's a long graphic. A bleed of .125 is plenty for just about anything. Yes, my current settings are 0.80, 0.020, and a 0.20 margin. Pay attention to the eye as it scans the marks. It may be reading the color bars or something else in the art.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I've cut window perf on a Graphtec and a Mimaki.
I'd suggest trying a piece of masking tape (as close to white as you can find) along your cutting strip, where your reader is. I think it might help the plotter find the cut marks.