• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

having trouble with Flexi 10 crashing

ddarlak

Go Bills!
this morning flexi doesn't want to play...

I tried importing a file into my already open flexi, i never turn off my PC, and flexi crashed. tried to open it again, flexi opens, but when i try to open a file it just sits there. when i try and click on anything, i get the windows noise that it is busy.

rebooted PC and same thing, I am in the process of removing the last windows update. it was from last week and my PC worked fine afterwards but i need to get working and will try anything.

anyone else having issues?

flexi 10 on windows 10

WildWestDesigns

Whenever there is a new OS update and then relatively soon thereafter a program doesn't work. My first inclination is to suspect the "update". It's a weak form of evidence, but ironically, more often then not it's the cause.

Either an update is killing a "service" that your program depends on (but you should be notified of what service that is though ideally) or it's causing something hinky with the program as a whole.

Bare in mind Flexi 10 wasn't designed for Win 10 (I think it stops at Win 7 and I think we are up to version 12 now on Flexi, 3 generations removed (I do believe there was a 10.5 version in there as well)) and with the rolling release nature of Win 10 (big "update" due out next month as well), that would make me worried about future stability on a legacy program. So any update at any time, could kill functionality of a legacy program on a newer OS.

The "update" may not be the cause, but with software in general, when a program that has been working suddenly starts to act up right after a recent OS "update", that's what I look at first.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i spoke too soon, open flexi, opened file, imported file, worked fine.

tried to import another file, as soon as i clicked import, flexi disappeared

yea, sorry, i don;t have flexi 10, it's 10.5

ddarlak

Go Bills!
to add to the mix, i have flexiPRINT HP 12 for my Latex printer also installed on this machine.

I have been using it for weeks, no issues, i did notice today though that when i look at my flexi files, instead of having the flexi 12 icon (which started popping up on all my flexi files once i installed flexiPRINT) There are little thumbnails of the image of the file for it's icon. this just started today for some insane reason so i'm thinking whatever initiated this new unneeded feature may be causing my runnability issues.....

WildWestDesigns

to add to the mix, i have flexiPRINT HP 12 for my Latex printer also installed on this machine.

I have been using it for weeks, no issues, i did notice today though that when i look at my flexi files, instead of having the flexi 12 icon (which started popping up on all my flexi files once i installed flexiPRINT) There are little thumbnails of the image of the file for it's icon. this just started today for some insane reason so i'm thinking whatever initiated this new unneeded feature may be causing my runnability issues.....

I wouldn't rule it out.

Is your version 12 set up for auto updates for the program or did you initiate an update manually recently? If so, it could have been an update for that specific program that they added that feature to and it could cause some issues with how a legacy program handles that file. If it's trying to do the same thing, but it can't because it lacks the ability to do so, it could be causing a crash.

Are all of these files setup as the legacy version or the latest version?

Ideally, myself personally, I like to have various versions either on different computers or within different VMs. Especially if one is still supported and receiving updates. Updates are a double edged sword, it's a good habit to be in to update on some type of scheduled basis, but updates, by their very nature, bring instability into a system.

Why I'm not so much of a fan of a rolling release type of OS or program unless one is willing to deal with the hiccups that are bound to happen, but I digress.