Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDU sign

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing, Pricing Etc.' started by JBurton, Oct 19, 2020.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    So I had an "existing customer" (we did window vinyl and tenant panels at their old location, they are part of a bigger outfit) get a quote from an out of state company to install some dibond panels with dimensional cut letters mounted to an existing foam monument sign. The other company gave us a call to price an onsite install that was a piece of dibond, cut to shape, installed and vinyl covering for the dibond, then install these 1" thick pvc letters onto the monument. Overall for two sides it was about $2,600.
    The customer gives us a call direct to quote the project. We end up doing it for way less, with HDU letters. When I quoted it, I came up with about $1,200. I ended up cranking that price up even more so the other company wouldn't look so bad. It turned out beautifully, since we mounted the letters in the shop and just mounted the panels, we saved a ton on labor, and install was just long enough to pull tape and cover in lexel.
    My question is, what would you charge for this? Double sided, the panels measured about 4'x6', the HDU came in under 12sq/ft (even had to charge for the whole sheet since we didn't have it on the shelf), color was just process blue and sultan blue vinyl, white paint for letters, a few dozen screws, VHB tape. We also spent two sheets of coro trying to make sure we had a good enough fit. Fyz Guy Monument.png

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    we would be around $2000 for that, sounds like there were a few visits to site to check the fit etc. plus the HDU etc.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Well glad I wasn't out of line. How do you secure the letters typically? I'd figured on VHB, but the back of the letters didn't get painted, so I ended up countersinking screws into the dibond. I was just lucky I had marked holes in the background and letters just for alignment.

4. CanuckSigns

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    We don;t work with HDU much, so I can;t comment on that, I would probally use PVC or acrylic and attach with VHB & Silicone

5. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    PVC is what the other company had quoted, so I told the salesman to go call up the distributor for pricing. They came back claiming pvc is no good outdoors, it will warp, go for the hdu. What sort of PVC do you use for outdoors?

6. CanuckSigns

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    For the minimal amount on this sign 1" thick pvc would be fine. I wouldn't use pvc as a panel, but for small elements and letters etc its fine

7. rossmosh

rossmosh Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    I'd argue that 1" PVC would be a superior material to HDU for a project like this. It's cheaper, stronger, and you can drill/tap it directly instead of needing to drill and guerilla glue. On top of that, if you wanted to save some money, you could not paint the sheets and stick it up as-is.

Sadly, there's a lot of misinformation about PVC. People are throwing huge 3/4" sheets of it on their houses yet it can't be used as an exterior sign? Makes no sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Interesting point. I know there are a few different brands/levels of PVC - are some of them better for outdoor exposure and less susceptible to warping/shrinking? I've always thought of Sintra brand as being one of the best, but haven't dealt much with thicknesses above 1/2".

9. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Grimco offers an outdoor Palight brand PVC that carries a 25 year manufacturer warranty and there are others out there as well. Just realize most of these are thicker like starting at 1/2" and up. We've used several with good success.

10. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Good to know, thanks Sean! Will keep this in mind for future projects. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  11. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I would have done 1" pvc for the border and logo dude mounted on acm, all painted with latex for about. I would have siliconed the pvc to the acm and then the acm to the monument...Im thinking $1800-$2000