• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Head alignment problems ?

Wintersun

Can someone tell me where the problem lies with my printer ?
Is this head alignment problems ?
I have a Mimaki JV3 160SP

And if it is head alignment problems, could some kind person guide me in the right direction to getting it back to working ?

Attachments

• 8453511937_5d033df519.jpg
    8453511937_5d033df519.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 8453512501_831aee3dfa_z.jpg
    8453512501_831aee3dfa_z.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited by a moderator:

MikePro

everything you need to maintain your JV3 found in this thread:
Mimaki service/maintenance document collection

particularly, in your case, the:
Print Head alignments checklist
tho' you can skip to step #3.

clarified order:
#prntadjust menu, select thick/thin media, hi/low speed
1. x-direction (input value where lines overlap)
2. y-base (add value to push top lines to left to overlap...repeat until they overlap)
3. Var-2: Ysi, Yre, Ybi (each line represents 0.1 +/-, do not repeat, only enter value of overlap)
4. Fine Ysi, Yre, Ybi (same pattern repeats across entire media width. repeat and add to value like y-base procedure to push top line to left until overlapped)
5. Norm-2 Ysi, Yre, Ybi (same as Var-2)
6. Fine Ysi, Yre, Ybi (same as step #4)
7. Basis Set (not required, but nice because it uses the procedure you just completed to set the starting point for V1, N1, N2... it WILL wipe out the existing data, so be sure that's what you want to do before using)

Last edited:

MikePro

its pretty easy to do. get a magnifying glass... the reader ones with the built-in LED light is nice to have, especially when trying to read the yellow nozzles.

remember, on your printer screen, C1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 are referring to the halves of the printhead from left to right (channels)
basically the order allows you to align the furthest-left (black, in my case) printhead to itself, and then you end up aligning all the other channels to it.

O yeah, and get some really inexpensive paper media.... don't waste good vinyl on these alignment procedures, as you'll need approx 8-15ft. of at least 24" material (i use 54" glossy paper stock)

Last edited:

Wintersun

thanks so much this helped a lot, I'm having other issues at the moment now
maybe a capping problem, after a head clean i get random results.
sometimes most the nozzles are ok sometimes they are not.
im wondering if the capping station is either badly aligned or maybe the rubber gasket is not contacting swell as it should, or maybe the pumps need replacing.
oh i wish i could just print a bloody poster without so many problems :(

MikePro

that's a lot to handle. multiple issues blow my mind, as it is so much easier to diagnose a single issue assuming that everything else is working correctly.
i'd spend the $$$ for a tech to get you set up proper.

I'm also assuming you know how to run proper maintenance, removing built-up ink, changing wiper blades, nozzle wash, disway wash, etc? head wash is also great if you have cleaning cartridges and want to treat the machine to a flush, but it is pretty wasteful with the ink.
otherwise, it never could hurt to replace all dampers, ink pumps, and capping station... as they are fairly inexpensive and easy to do without major disassembly.

Wintersun

I bought the machine cheaply and it had a ton of problems, most of which i have sorted.
Two of the heads are probably past it, but I'm getting there with it.
Needs some more time and money and a bit of patience and i'll be there :)
Just making 3 paces forward 2 paces back with it at the moment.
Help on here is great though and i appreciate it.