• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

head strike

Dave Stacey

I must not have loaded the vinyl properly & I got a bad head strike while printing. The material clamp was knocked off. The cutter separated. I took a picture of a wire hanging off the cutter & I can't tell where it came off of . How bad is this damaged? Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Attachments

• 106_0001.jpg
    106_0001.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 78

petepaz

i have had that happen before but not with the wire hanging off. can you see anywhere it plugs into? i checked on my vp and xc looks like it goes up into the top of the cutter somewhere but can't tell for sure with out taking stuff apart. from looking at your pic it may plug or screw into the bottom of the cutter. you will probably have to pull some gear off to see better

Sticky Signs

Yikes!!! I'm gonna guess that's the censor that reads the crop marks and it should live on the bottom of the cutter head. I'm also guessing that a full calibration will need to be done.

Dave Stacey

Thanks guys

I took the cover off & it looked like the only spot it could have come off of because of the length is a black slot sort of on the back of the cutter. Real hard to get at. I kept trying to get it to slide on & finally got it partially on. When I started up it keeps saying the right pinch roller is in the wrong spot. I'm wondering if the cutter has to come offto fix this.

Sticky Signs

It could be the one that reads the media. Kinda makes sense if it's reading a right roller error. Try getting it back to it's original position otherwise I think it may be time to call a tech. No point waisting time and possibly making the problem worse. I've seen some pretty nasty head strikes but that photo takes the cake. Looks like it's guts are hanging out.

Jack Knight1979

Regretfully. You'll probably have a head start going bad over the next two weeks to three months. A crash like that usually fractures the internals on the head and will begin to erode and fail.

I have had head strikes where nothing has failed and others that causes premature head failure.

Too bad the heads are so sensitive.

otctech

That is the sensor on the back of the cut carriage that senses the media width. I'm not sure what model that is but on my xc 540 it is held on with one screw, if yours is the same it is probably broke and needs to be replaced. If you take that black cover off there should be 2 allen head bolts that attach the whole cut carriage to the linear bearing. If you take those 2 bolts out you should be able to replace it fairly easily. Be careful with the ribbon cable that's attached to the cut carriage, if you don't get it lined up in the middle of the guide it rides in when you put it back together you can damage the ribbon cable, and eventually damage the main board (I know because we've done it).
Hope this helps.

InkjetAuction

Pinchwheel Sensor

More specifically it's the pinchwheel sensor... part alone should cost you approximately $26 (if it's damaged). Roland has these in stock in Irvine. Your dealer/tech should be able to help you take care of this minor repair.

~E