• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Heat assist needed?

SameDay Signs

After moving into a shop 3x's the size were on a tight budget and need to add a laminator and we've looked at a US TECH cold lam which is crazy cheap at $2600 but then it intrigues me to see a lam on ebay with heat assist for same price. Granted I know these are chinese and all that good stuff but being on a budget its what we have to work with so just looking for input on rather HEAT ASSIST IS NEEDED OR NOT? We are just laminating prints and such with it and more then anything will be using it to mount boards but weren't quite sure on the silvering and how bad that could be without the heat. Feedback is appreciated.

Drip Dry

We have a GFP with heat assist. Except for a couple of times in the beginning, we never use heat.

Wasted our money on the option

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I like the idea of it and we bought US Tech with heat assist a few months back but like jtrube we have yet to use the heat assist capability. In at least a couple of months of daily use we have not once used the heat capabilities and prior to this machine, we got by just fine for 10 years with our older GBC with no heat just fine....

The additional cost was minimal so I went ahead and got the one with it "just in case". Do also keep in mind, if is anything more than "assist" and even many heat assist models, you will also need to have a 240v power circuit for it as well.

AF

Heat assist is useful. Silvering is trapped air, so heat assist vastly diminishes this. Plus you can deliver your product looking good right away instead of waiting several hours for the silvering to fade. Heat assist is not required to laminate but it has a specific purpose that some people benefit from more than others. Full heat is a different beast for use with thermal laminates.

MaxiKyle

We find that UV ink can build up pretty significantly in certain areas of prints and that using heat can help get the laminate "down" in those tented areas where printed area meets non-printed area.