• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Heat Press Sizes

evader

About a year ago I purchased the printing company I was working at and in order to focus on the business I decided to sell my vinyl cutter and sign making equipment.

We print mostly paper products (business cards, invoices, etc.), however, since taking over I have added other services such as signage and large format printing (both of which I currently sub out to someone I know in the next town). While it has been nice to offer those services to our customers, the demand isn't at a level to purchase our own equipment...I am more than happy to continue to source that stuff out.

What I am considering doing now though is purchasing a heat press in order to offer small runs of t-shirt and other promotional items to customers. We get asked all the time about this and I think there is a decent market for it where we are and I feel it will be a nice addition for the business.

I contacted Stahls about what I'd like to do and they have recommended the Maxx Heat Press. After doing some searching on here I see that others have this press and are happy with it.

The Maxx Heat Press comes in 3 sizes...11" x 15", 15" x 15" and 16" x 20" with the price difference being $460 between the smallest and largest press.

My question is...what size should I be thinking about? As I said, my intention is to simply be able to offer very small runs of t-shirts for customers...I have no illusions that the press will be running non-stop all day/every day. I am thinking more along the lines of 10 - 15 shirts a month kind of thing (if that much).

That being the case, I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible...do you think the 11" x 15" will be big enough?

Also, I assume I am also going to have to purchase a new vinyl cutter as well correct? Any suggestions on a decent lower end vinyl cutter that would be good to go along with the heat press?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

royster13

I have 2 16 x 20s and a 15 x 15......I use them all from time to time......If you must only get one, make it a 16 x 20......But as far as only having one, there is nothing I do in-house where I do not have redundancy.....My favourite is my Geo Knight DK20....

Where in Canada are you?.....Joto Paper has shipping from BC & ON.....Starline Pacific is in BC.....Flex Heat Press Vinyl is in ON....

2B

I have 2 16 x 20s and a 15 x 15......I use them all from time to time......If you must only get one, make it a 16 x 20......But as far as only having one, there is nothing I do in-house where I do not have redundancy.....My favourite is my Geo Knight DK20....

Where in Canada are you?.....Joto Paper has shipping from BC & ON.....Starline Pacific is in BC.....Flex Heat Press Vinyl is in ON....

as soon as you get the smaller size something will come up and you will need the larger size.

plus you will be able to make a GREAT PANINI!

Mike_Koval

I would recommend if buget allows to get the 16x20 and definitely no smaller than the 15x15.

the 11x15 is more of a spare press or one to travel with.

rcook99

Minimum 16x20. If space allows go for a swinger style. It gives you plenty of room without getting burned. I have an INSTA 228 digital swinger. Its 6 yrs old and no issues.

royster13

I have no knowledge of that particular press, however, having owned swinging presses in the past, I grew to hate them....It has been a while but as I recall it seemed to take longer with them...Plus if space is tight, you need more room....

evader

sorry to bother everyone again :smile:

I think I'm going to go with the 16"x20" Maxx Heat Press.

Now as far as a cutter goes to go with it...they have suggested the Roland GX-24...however, it's a little more money than I was looking to spend to be honest.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the GCC Expert 24LX cutter?

It is $1,200 less in price than the Roland cutter...which is very appealing.

jhanson

GCC makes pretty good cutters for the price. Any 24" cutter is really going to be an interim solution until you outgrow it, so I'd get that and save the money to buy something like a 60" Graphtec FC-8000 later on when you need it.

CP Signs

Just sold my expert lx 24. For what you do, it's an ok cutter. But to save more money, just buy the regular 24" the one you are looking at as optical eye to do contour cutting from printed material.

WildWestDesigns

GCC makes pretty good cutters for the price. Any 24" cutter is really going to be an interim solution until you outgrow it, so I'd get that and save the money to buy something like a 60" Graphtec FC-8000 later on when you need it.

If this is just to go along with apparel decorating, a 24" is going to be enough. Now, if this is going to be used for signs as well, then I could see the 60", but not if this is just for apparel decorating unless it's going to be quite the apparel decorating factory going on.

I do agree with CP in that it's going to need an optical eye for contour, that's a biggie in my book.