• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Heat press

Farmboy

You hear folks on hear saying "you get what you paid for" all the time. My advice, since you're asking for it. Save and get one from a company you can call when you need parts or assistance. At some point you'll need a fuse or something for this.

I agree with Farmboy and Mike but I got into heat pressing just like what your wanting to do and would not deture anyone from starting off with a cheaper press. I bought a $295 press from blankshirts.com hoping it would last long enough till I could get something better. I used that press for 14 months and was able to make enought money from it to buy a Geo Knight press. My cheap chineese press still works great and we take it to craft fairs with us instead of the heavy Geo Knight. I have another friend who recently bought the same press and is very happy with it. I know that everyone hasn
t had as good of luck with cheap press as I did but I was very happy with it and would buy one again if I had to.

Mike_Koval

You bring up a very good point. Those who have success with the cheaper presses like having it a spare or something to travel around with.

In talking with some of my customers, they have went the affordable route, to test the waters and see if it would be a fit for them. In doing so, it led them to a name brand press.

Mike that is exactly what I did. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money for a press when I didn't know if it would bring much to my business. Now I have that spare/protable press if I need it. Our heat press now accounts for about 30% of our business.

Techman

do not get a chepo press.
No how no way.

The temp across the platen will be different all over teh place.
The difference wil be as much as 20 degrees. One spot will be hot and another will be colder. That wuill cause you much pain in that one place will press perfect and right next to it it will press bad..

Simple. do not get a cheapo press.

Holeshotrob

I'm going the affordable route as well for the very same reasons. I have had a bit of interest in foils and transfers as of late and I even have a kids hockey league that is looking at getting around 150-200 jerseys done.

I have borrowed (rented) a friend's press for the other small jobs I have had and I need to start with a cheaper press to make cash to buy a good name brand press.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinion about any of the ones on ebay, since some of them are made and sold in America. I actually live about 10 miles from US Cutter's officies in Woodinville, WA. Maybe I'll just get ahold of them and see what they have available.

If anyone has any opinion of the best of the cheapo's ( I know, that's like saying Government intelligence) but I'm needing it to last for about a year and I'm off to the better quality press.

Thanks again!

davidcarr87

we have been looking at some of the "cheapo's" as well
the guy i sub out my digital prints to has a heat press..and said i could "rent from him" on a per shirt basis...he also offered for me to cut everything and get it all ready and him to just do the press work..and charge me per shirt..cheaper than what it would cost to have it done..

dunno still lookin into it some :p

The one you are looking at on bay looks just like my chinese made press accept mine is 15 x 15. I don't know about the one on ebay but I have had mine from blankshirts.com for about 2 1/2 years now and it still works fine even toting around to craft sales and such.

CES020

I have that same press, we bought it used from someone that wanted to make things out of their basement and it never worked out. I'd suggest looking on craigslist instead. You can pick up a brand name, solid press for that same price. It might take a couple of weeks before you see it posted, but they come up all the time.

There are issues with it that I'm not crazy about. I have a Infrared temp gage and I check the temp with it all the time. It appears to be fairly consistent, but when I press things, I almost never get to use the times recommended. For example, I had an item recently and the manufacturer said 25 seconds. 25 seconds on that press at the proper temp- horrible. 35 seconds-horrible. 45, horrible, 50- better. Had to end up at 80 seconds to make it work. I can't seem to use any factory recommendations, it's all trial and error,which gets expensive.

However, people with the high end presses seem to be able to use all the factory recommended settings. So what's the time and frustration all worth?

I'd take a used, quality, swing press over a new clamshell any day.

The clamshell design can also cause many issues. If it's anything thicker, it doesn't hit flat, so you'll have uneven pressure, which will ruin the graphic.

Also, the gages are in celsius, so figure on having to convert everything you do to that.

I'm not doing t-shirts, so my advice might not apply, but get a good used one instead.

spur

Stay away from the Chinese junkers, they don't heat evenly and are prone to catching fire.

The aggravation and wasted material will not offset any upfront savings.

WildWestDesigns

Like a couple of others, I would save it up and do it right. Now I did go with a Panther Press when I started, which was a good affordable 9x12 press that got more then I thought done. Now I have the DC16 Combo press. Night and day difference. I don't really have any true negative things to say about the Panther press, just night and day difference.

Air Art Girl

Rob, call me.

You need to come by and see what I have. I do have an old Hix which is a work horse as well as 2 other shirt presses, 2 mug presses and a hat press but you might be able to talk me out of the Hix.

Come out to North Bend and we can talk. I have other info on products etc that will be helpful to you to pursue garment decoration. I do tons of it.

Ellen

Blaney

I bought my 16 x 20 MAXX last November. I had no idea how much $$$ it would generate the first year. Once word got out that I was making shirts, it paid for itself in 3 months. I spent $1,500 for the press and several rolls of vinyl. Start with a good machince and you won't be sorry. It was a great addition to the shop. Have you looked into leasing one? With orders of 150 - 200 items, it won't take long to pay for it.

Mike_Koval

The Stahls MAXX is a high quality economical press. 3 sizes are available, digital time and temp display and interchangeable lower platens.

An excellent starter press or someone in need of a press for low to mid volume of apparel.