• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Heat-resistant mask for burning graphics into wood

Doyle

Looking for a recommendation of a material that could be used to create a negative of an image, applied to raw wood, and we would use a torch to burn the image into the wood? We have tried a couple of samples using some hartco sandblast resist, but the high heat melts the adhesive and looks like it might leave a big mess if we used this. Just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this or could recommend a material? THanks in advance!

Doyle

I checked out that link, doesn't look like a film we could cut in a plotter? We need to cut out a logo (somewhat detailed) and burn this into the wood. If the logo were really simple, we could probably use this and just apply the tape around the logo, but I'm pretty sure we will need to cut on a plotter.

Kaiser

Try laser cutting the logo negative onto a steel sheet or a thicker hardwood. Ive used this method before and it seems to work well on a flat surface as the wood stains pretty fast.
If you're using a curved surface though, it may get trickier and I cant say Ive had any experience there.

S

spmracing

Try laser cutting the logo negative onto a steel sheet or a thicker hardwood. Ive used this method before and it seems to work well on a flat surface as the wood stains pretty fast.
If you're using a curved surface though, it may get trickier and I cant say Ive had any experience there.

If it is curved, it can be taped off with the sandblast cover, then have a stencil cut with vinyl applied over. Cut the stencil outlines, peel, then burn.