• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hell Has frozen over

C

ColoPrinthead

Nice! Now I can get ride of that annoying message about windows not being genuine that's on the bottom right corner screen of my personal laptop. If only Adobe would take the same approach.

rjssigns

Only 40 bux 'cuz they have 9, 10, 11 and 12 waiting. Probably make you pay for service packs too.

cdiesel

It says almost half of PC's are running "11 year old XP".. this is probably for a couple reasons, besides the money:

I would tend to believe that Apple "people" are more techie, and rapidly gobble up the latest of anything and everything Apple puts out.

Another reason is probably backwards compatability issues. For instance, we can't upgrade one RIP station because of the protocol used to drive one of our printers not being available on Windows 7. Heck, I have a friend who runs a trophy shop that still runs Windows 3.1 because that's what his embroidery equipment needs.

And lastly, and probably the biggest reason is "why upgrade"? For most people who just surf the net and play a couple games, maybe write an occasional Word doc at home, their 10 year old computer and software probably work just fine.

cdiesel

I also actually saw that at Costco at least, if you buy a Win7 computer now, you get a free upgrade to Win8 when it comes out.

Locals Find!

I am still running XP on my machines at home and the office because, I tried the migration over to Vista and it wouldn't run my basic desktop printers and was a pain to use. Tried windows 7 on my wifes new laptop and it takes me 4 times as long to do simple tasks that I can do in XP with no issue.

Since, I have had XP (been a window user since 3.0) I have had no major issues whatsoever. No blue screens of death, no weird unexplainable glitches. Everything just runs better. I have no interest in replacing expensive printers & software just because microsoft tells me their newest release is going to make my life easier. Wanna make things easier on me make windows 9 just like XP except add the ability for me to add & use more RAM. Let me keep my hardware & software just the way it is if I want.

That is all most of us XP users want in the end. I like my software to be just like my Truck. Long lasting, easy to maintain, and not have to be replaced every few years. (My truck is a 95 dodge dakota still running strong)

J

john1

Running Windows 7 Pro here and i love it. Windows 8 looks cool but i am worried about the software i am running not working with the upgrade.

Christian @ 2CT Media

There has been alot of talk about the driver fiasco of Vista, supposedly the new windows 8 platform is 100% driver compatible to Windows 7. Looking at the RC of windows 8 it seems to be built on a streamlined 7 protocol.

I'm personally going for the windows 8 just to see if the fat they shed is really going to be the speed boost windows needs.

OlsonSigns601

Windows 8 to me looks just like Windows 7 unless you are running a tablet, then it looks like something new because its not Apple and its not Android.

Unless Windows 8 does something that Windows 7 doesn't do besides bootup faster (woop'de'doo I keep it running 24/7 anyway).. I think I'll stick to Windows 7 even if they were giving it away for free.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ellsmako

Well its still a major move for Microsoft, for those who paid over 140 bucks for an upgrade its huge. Vista and ME we garbage, never used them for long ( beta tester ) Windows 7 was the first Beta for me that was great, Windows eight looks different although you can get back the familiar desktop and so far everything runs. I still prefer windows 7 but hey marketing is what it is. As far as apple goes, its not that the users are more savy ( they usually are far from it ) but since upgrades are so cheap, ( you buy one copy and use it on all your computers ) they go along. Listen I have a mac pro that ran like sh*t after upgrading to lion, basically turned it into a boat anchor or door stop. had to revert. Have a G4 metal case that cannot take any upgrades including safari and adobe. so the idea that upgrades on any type of computer is a fantasy.