• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello All. Thoughts on Printers

cptcorn

adad
Welp, it's a been awhile since I've had my hands in the sign-making business. I'm more than likely going to be diving in headfirst again.

Anyone want to list off some pros/cons of their printers? I know its a really open question, but I trust you guys as I start my research.

I've been mainly around the JV3/33 & Gerber equipment. So I am very biased towards Mimaki. Currently I have a Graphtec FC8600 for making ink stencils. I was super interested in the HP Latex printers when they first emerged. So really I'm open to Mimaki/Roland/HP.

I'll be doing a size-able amount of printing on banner material, and would be interested in scratch resistance. I remember the HP latex when it emerged as having fantastic scratch resistance but poor banner printing performance.

Thanks for the insight everyone! Looking forward to spend some time in the political forum ... haha

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I would go Latex all the way! The HP latex is the #1 machine in the industry now. I think Latex does more applications than any other machine in the market.

cptcorn

adad
I would go Latex all the way! The HP latex is the #1 machine in the industry now. I think Latex does more applications than any other machine in the market.

This has been what I've been reading. Seems like they've figured out some of the buckling issues and what not.

I've seen the Mimaki JV300 in person and like that you can do CMYKlclmw with it, but not sure how much white ink printing I do. I am yet to hear of anyone using Mimaki's latex series.

ironchef

No experience with latex, but so far i love my mimaki, i use ss21 inks, they last forever. How does latex inks stand up to scratches/weather?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
This has been what I've been reading. Seems like they've figured out some of the buckling issues and what not.

I've seen the Mimaki JV300 in person and like that you can do CMYKlclmw with it, but not sure how much white ink printing I do. I am yet to hear of anyone using Mimaki's latex series.

Yes the amount of jobs done with white ink are very seldom I would bet. White ink is great if your specializing in an application like backlit printing. I have met 1 client who was using the Mimaki Latex and I was not impressed.

Christian @ 2CT Media

we demo'd a mimaki/ricoh latex here in Phoenix... for the price its not worth it, way to slow and way too expensive. For similar quality to our L25500 at the time it was about 1/2 the speed. Add in the white ink and it was a blistering fast 30sfph!

We have gone through 3 generations of latex and I will continue to stick with it, I'm just hoping for a hybrid 8ft model then all will be right with the world.

rjssigns

Best advice I can give is buy from the dealer closest to your shop. If a Mimaki, Roland or HP dealer is right next door buy from them. Yes, even if it costs more. All printers break, and usually at the worst possible time.
You want your dealer to be at your in 24 hours or less.

we demo'd a mimaki/ricoh latex here in Phoenix... for the price its not worth it, way to slow and way too expensive. For similar quality to our L25500 at the time it was about 1/2 the speed. Add in the white ink and it was a blistering fast 30sfph!

We have gone through 3 generations of latex and I will continue to stick with it, I'm just hoping for a hybrid 8ft model then all will be right with the world.

I was hoping some sort of flatbed but a hybrid will do. Just keep posting and they may see it haha.

Best advice I can give is buy from the dealer closest to your shop. If a Mimaki, Roland or HP dealer is right next door buy from them. Yes, even if it costs more. All printers break, and usually at the worst possible time.
You want your dealer to be at your in 24 hours or less.

Second this also. I have an HP L360 I love it and it is a dream. However if I couldn't easily get a tech out to me fast I would have gone a different route. You can pick any machine and it may work wonders for your company. But the second that machine goes down, and it will go down and some point, your going to have a bunch of work to catch up on and your going to need parts ASAP. Maybe you might even need and tech to install those parts for you. You have to have that support close or else the printer is worthless.

DougWestwood

I have used many printers

Hi There,

I have used many printers, Mimaki, HP, OCE and FUJI flatbeds, Mutoh, Epson, solvent inks, latex inks, UV inks.

Currently, I am using a VUTEK flatbed/roll hybrid, the 10-foot wide GS3000. It is excellent. Banners don't scratch, ink doesn't flake off rigid materials.
The OCE/FUJI flatbed/roll hybrid is also excellent. OCE and FUJI using the basic same machine, just one rebrands it to their company.

UV inks have been historically bad for scratching, flaking, etc. They have successfully addressed that problem with their K1 inks.
I did a test: printed some coroplast, cut off a piece, put it in our freezer for 3 days.
Took it out, FOLDED it TWICE. No flakes, no creases, not even a line where I folded it. Great work.

If that isn't enough, they also have an adhesion promoter liquid. You wipe it on, let it dry a couple minutes and print.
It helps the ink "melt" into the material. Stinks up the shop, but works perfectly.

Yeah, the solvent Mimakis never fade, scratch, etc, but the fumes and the toxic ink waste are a big problem.
Also, you need to wait 24 hours before lamination, or you'll get bubbles. No waiting with UV inks.

White ink - unless you have a steady client(s) who want white ink, forget about it. Big pain in butt to keep clean.
We do white ink here every day, so it's not so traumatic.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
- Doug
Vancouver

dypinc

I am hoping HP sees the light and gives us an option to again to have a Latex printer that is not a contone device and have two lc/lm printheads. I guess giving us higher ink densities at 10 passes and lower would help a lot, but that would cause even more problem with having only one lc/lm printhead. Or, maybe going above 120% ink density at 10 pass and lower would not be allowed in CMYKcm mode. That might at least let us hit high gamut colors at 10 pass and lower. But I guess we have to see what the 4th generation brings.

I'm totally new to printing, but we just got the Mimaki JCV150-130 a couple of weeks ago. We'd been eyeballing Mimaki's printers at the NBM show a few years ago and the durability and image quality is just amazing. I think for the type of signage that we most commonly do, it's a good fit for our shop. Our dealer is in The Chicago suburbs about an hour and a half away from us, which is convenient. So far it's been a good experience.

cptcorn

adad
Thanks for the input everyone.

We don't have much of a need for a hybrid flatbed. Cool to hear those are coming along nicely also.

I'm a diehard Seal laminator fan, but it seems like every supply co has their own random brand they're trying to push. GFP, etc ... Any luck with any other brands of heat assist laminators?