• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from an L.A. newbee :)

Alicia Zee

Hi sign makers! Alicia Zee here... sign painter in Los Angeles and as yet, new to this site. About me...
I am a second generation sign painter. Dad(deceased) & mom, stepdad, sister, brother-in-law, nephew, and many family friends are or were also sign painters. My sign career began at age 6, painting snowflakes on Xmas windows with my family, and from 17 to 21 I took the Sign Graphics(evening) course at LA Trade Tech(as seen in 'SignPainters:the movie'). Then, like many others, with the arrival of the plotter, by the early 90's I began to lose heart, finally leaving for the greener grass of the Netherlands where, after a few years of bumming around Europe, I was eventually employed as set painter for a theater where I then worked for 15 years. But after 20 or so years I missed my family and in 2008, moved back to LA. where I, for the most part, continued working as set painter, primarily on films, painting signs only when needed for a project that I was working on. I eventually began to tire of the L.A. film 'industry' scene and little-by-little began picking up the brush again and for the past 3 or 4 years, I can happily say that sign painting now makes up about 95% of my income(I still do the occasional set paint or faux finish for old clients). I am also thrilled to see so many new sign painters out there and that our trade may not be going the way of the lamplighter of switchboard operator after all! Furthermore, as of this month(July, 2018) I have conquered my plotterphobia and am now the proud owner of a pre-owned Roland Camm-1 Pro GX-300 ~ which I am presently trying to convince to obey me...with limited success. On the positive side, this has led me to this site where, hat in hand(not really...I don't actually wear hats very often) I hope to tap into some experienced minds for plotter advice, as well as just generally connect with others in this most wonderful of trades. Woohoo! :notworthy:

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Any relation to Mike Zee?
I started learning lettering and was a graphic designer before computers and when they started taking over, I went into construction. Couldn't see myself using one but ended up buying one after jacking up my back. I love all the great work going on lately, makes me wish I lived closer to LA to get in on the hand painted action.
Welcome!

decalman

It's an honor to meet you.
Love your background.
Welcome to the forum.
How do you like the Roland ?
I almost went with that, but decided on Summa

Robert Gruner

Hi sign makers! Alicia Zee here... sign painter in Los Angeles and as yet, new to this site. About me...
I am a second generation sign painter. Dad(deceased) & mom, stepdad, sister, brother-in-law, nephew, and many family friends are or were also sign painters. My sign career began at age 6, painting snowflakes on Xmas windows with my family, and from 17 to 21 I took the Sign Graphics(evening) course at LA Trade Tech(as seen in 'SignPainters:the movie'). Then, like many others, with the arrival of the plotter, by the early 90's I began to lose heart, finally leaving for the greener grass of the Netherlands where, after a few years of bumming around Europe, I was eventually employed as set painter for a theater where I then worked for 15 years. But after 20 or so years I missed my family and in 2008, moved back to LA. where I, for the most part, continued working as set painter, primarily on films, painting signs only when needed for a project that I was working on. I eventually began to tire of the L.A. film 'industry' scene and little-by-little began picking up the brush again and for the past 3 or 4 years, I can happily say that sign painting now makes up about 95% of my income(I still do the occasional set paint or faux finish for old clients). I am also thrilled to see so many new sign painters out there and that our trade may not be going the way of the lamplighter of switchboard operator after all! Furthermore, as of this month(July, 2018) I have conquered my plotterphobia and am now the proud owner of a pre-owned Roland Camm-1 Pro GX-300 ~ which I am presently trying to convince to obey me...with limited success. On the positive side, this has led me to this site where, hat in hand(not really...I don't actually wear hats very often) I hope to tap into some experienced minds for plotter advice, as well as just generally connect with others in this most wonderful of trades. Woohoo! :notworthy:

Robert Gruner

Alicia,

Since you post from LA, I would suggest you spend a day or two at the NBM Show in Long Beach Thurs, Fri, and Sat this week. You would be surprised at all you might pick up just visiting this show. Good fortunes in your new business venture!
Bob Gruner

Alicia Zee

Any relation to Mike Zee?
I started learning lettering and was a graphic designer before computers and when they started taking over, I went into construction. Couldn't see myself using one but ended up buying one after jacking up my back. I love all the great work going on lately, makes me wish I lived closer to LA to get in on the hand painted action.
Welcome!

Hey Rick, thanks for the welcome and so sorry to hear about your back! I had a nasty shoulder dislocation some years ago and had to have surgery, followed by my dominant arm in a sling for 8 months! Fortunately, I lived in the Netherlands at the time so had good health coverage. A total bummer, nonetheless! I had to get help for nearly everything, including having to ask strangers on the street to tie my shoelace!

No, no relation to Mike. Is he a sign painter as well? My actual last name is 'Ziff' ~ 'Alicia Zee' is a nick name. That, and 'As-if' :)

Regarding now owning a plotter, while I did layouts by hand for most of my sign-life, I'm also no Luddite and am quite happy with using technology when it will save me time ~ as long as the finished work still retains the beautiful imperfections of contact with the human hand(who doesn't love putting their nose up to a hand lettered window sign to look for signs of brush strokes?). Especially since I tend to get a lot of wall work, and in this case, using a pattern is faster and is also something that I can delegate to a helper. Also, here in L.A., where there's a fair amount of healthy competition(L.A. boasts 12-16 Sign Graphics grads per year...not that they all stick it out), price-wise, I'd just not be able to keep up without a plotter. This all said, 95% of my work is still hand lettered and I use the Roland primarily for pattern making and the occasional mask cut.

Cheers,
Alicia

Alicia Zee

It's an honor to meet you.
Love your background.
Welcome to the forum.
How do you like the Roland ?
I almost went with that, but decided on Summa

Hello Decalman ~ thank you for the welcome! :)

I'm sure I will love the Roland...once I get a couple of somewhat debilitating issues sorted out. In the meantime it's been rather frustrating :(

Alicia Zee

Alicia,

Since you post from LA, I would suggest you spend a day or two at the NBM Show in Long Beach Thurs, Fri, and Sat this week. You would be surprised at all you might pick up just visiting this show. Good fortunes in your new business venture!
Bob Gruner

Thanks for the tip, Robert! Long Beach is indeed, quite near to me. I have several jobs amassing in my cue that I'll need to take care of over the next several days, but will try to get down there, if I can!

Warm regards,
Alicia Zee

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Hey Rick, thanks for the welcome and so sorry to hear about your back! I had a nasty shoulder dislocation some years ago and had to have surgery, followed by my dominant arm in a sling for 8 months! Fortunately, I lived in the Netherlands at the time so had good health coverage. A total bummer, nonetheless! I had to get help for nearly everything, including having to ask strangers on the street to tie my shoelace!

No, no relation to Mike. Is he a sign painter as well? My actual last name is 'Ziff' ~ 'Alicia Zee' is a nick name. That, and 'As-if' :)

Regarding now owning a plotter, while I did layouts by hand for most of my sign-life, I'm also no Luddite and am quite happy with using technology when it will save me time ~ as long as the finished work still retains the beautiful imperfections of contact with the human hand(who doesn't love putting their nose up to a hand lettered window sign to look for signs of brush strokes?). Especially since I tend to get a lot of wall work, and in this case, using a pattern is faster and is also something that I can delegate to a helper. Also, here in L.A., where there's a fair amount of healthy competition(L.A. boasts 12-16 Sign Graphics grads per year...not that they all stick it out), price-wise, I'd just not be able to keep up without a plotter. This all said, 95% of my work is still hand lettered and I use the Roland primarily for pattern making and the occasional mask cut.

Cheers,
Alicia

Yes, Mike Zee was a sign painter, I didn't know his last name but he had some guru status when I was growing up, last time I saw him was around 2002, he was hand painting signs I designed.

I just took a look at your work, a little envious, I would love to do craft signs again... right now, we just design, and my specialty is code signs - not very fun. But I have designed theme park signage, murals and graphics that required hand painting skills

I think with all my schooling using traditional tools, by the time the computer came out, all my production skills ended up being pretty useless - I couldn't imagine starting over, and construction payed way better so I went that direction. Years later, a sign guy took pity on me and I grunted for him till I got used to the computer and the rest is history. An old man gave me a Gerber plotter, then I bought a Roland PNC 950 and Flexi-Sign, but rarely used it. I still have my plotter but gave my Gerber set-up to a sign painter who was down on his luck.

Have you ever been to a letterhead or walldog meet?

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
A bit late ... But wanted to say hi Alicia Zee and welcome you to the Signs101 Community.
There's a lot of helpful info in the forums. So here's hoping you find everything you need and enjoy your stay.
If you need help with something, just post a thread and I'm sure the community will help provide solutions.
Enjoy.

SignsSupport

Alicia Zee

A bit late ... But wanted to say hi Alicia Zee and welcome you to the Signs101 Community.
There's a lot of helpful info in the forums. So here's hoping you find everything you need and enjoy your stay.
If you need help with something, just post a thread and I'm sure the community will help provide solutions.
Enjoy.

SignsSupport

Hi 'SignsSupport'! Me too a bit late...but belated thanks for the welcome :)

Yes, I will indeed, need to post a message about my issue, as I've yet to find a solution elsewhere :( Hopefully someone here will have an idea as to what I might be able to try. Fingers crossed!

Kind regards,
Alicia Zee