• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from GA

Peachtree Signs

Hello! We're a startup here in GA, I've been in the sign business for about 5 years on and off, I have a bachelors in fine arts, I have experiance printing, weeding, installing, I've run routers and installed roadway sings. I just got hired here a few weeks ago as a production manager, my boss (the owner) doesn't have a lot of experiance in printing so I'm showing him the ropes and making suggestions as far as equipment and materials. Right now it's just the two of us and we're still in the preliminary stages. I want this to work out for us obviously, this is the most responsibility I've had at a job and the most money I've made so I wanted to ask around here

what makes a good sign shop?

The first job I had out of college was a small sign shop with only 5 or so employees and that's where I learned the basics, designing in Flexi and applying vinyl. Later on I worked at a small outfit that mostly just printed banners and choroplat signs. I worked at a larger place that had a dozen or so employees and that's where I learned to run a router and install large signs, channel letters,ADA ect. but I felt like it was poorly managed, guy was the owners son and I think he was the type that felt like he knew everything but didn't and made lots of comprimises, tried to cut too many corners, lots of misinformation and we screwed up large projects so basically I don't want to be in those situations now that I will be calling the shots.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Hello! We're a startup here in GA, I've been in the sign business for about 5 years on and off, I have a bachelors in fine arts, I have experiance printing, weeding, installing, I've run routers and installed roadway sings. I just got hired here a few weeks ago as a production manager, my boss (the owner) doesn't have a lot of experiance in printing so I'm showing him the ropes and making suggestions as far as equipment and materials. Right now it's just the two of us and we're still in the preliminary stages. I want this to work out for us obviously, this is the most responsibility I've had at a job and the most money I've made so I wanted to ask around here

what makes a good sign shop?

The first job I had out of college was a small sign shop with only 5 or so employees and that's where I learned the basics, designing in Flexi and applying vinyl. Later on I worked at a small outfit that mostly just printed banners and choroplat signs. I worked at a larger place that had a dozen or so employees and that's where I learned to run a router and install large signs, channel letters,ADA ect. but I felt like it was poorly managed, guy was the owners son and I think he was the type that felt like he knew everything but didn't and made lots of comprimises, tried to cut too many corners, lots of misinformation and we screwed up large projects so basically I don't want to be in those situations now that I will be calling the shots.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Aerial service equipment, bucket trucks, and electricians. Get the right kind of insurance and hook up with some national accounts (sign forwarding companies). Most everything else is $15/hour stuff and you will flow through employees.

Or set up an automated specialty production shop, market nationally, and work out the best deals possible for shipping (Shipping is where you make it or break it - you will find production costs don't vary much from shop to shop, but the more volume you do, the better your shipping rates will be. Signs 365 is a good example)!