• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from Milton, ON,Canada

Diyavi Designs

Hello everybody! I started installing vinyl wraps on motorcycles, vehicle accents about a year and half ago as a part time jig. I decided to attend a workshop by Avery to get my basics right as I was starting to get color change requests. I was speaking to the trainer who also owns a vinyl wrap business and mentioned about the possibilities of having a commercial wraps business, which caught my attention. I was told this market is expected to double to $4B USD by 2020. Not sure if there is any truth to that.

In any case, I’m looking to perfect my skills first before venturing into commercial wraps and perhaps make it into a full time business. The plan is to get certified first (by Fall 2018) and start commercial wraps right after. I have lined up 4 cars and a few more small projects to wrap this fall/winter to practice before the certification.

I started to rent a 1.5 bay shop nearby to practice after work and weekends, a website in progress to market myself, completed a business plan and will also attending the sign expo in Toronto to pick everyone’s brain. So yes, I’m very serious. But, want to do this right.

I’m a consulting engineer (contractor, incorporated) on a full time basis, which is my main business and will be the main source of funding for the wrap venture. I don’t plan on getting a printer or plotter as I will source commercial prints for now. Main priority is practice, certification and marketing. Once I nail that and have enough demand, I’ll procure some major equipment. My wife is an accountant/ part time graphics designer, so I’m set in book keeping and graphics department.

Honest feedback/criticism from anyone experienced in this area is appreciated. I’m driven to do this but is it worth it?

ikarasu

I don't think certification means much, to be honest.

There's a ton of shops that do wraps in Vancouver/Toronto... People look more at price than certification.

It's not bad to take the courses... But I wouldn't focus on it. It's much better to get more experience... Check out videos from the wrap institute, and practice lots. I've never wrapped a motorcycle, but cars tend to have more deep grooves and curves to them... They're different than motorcycles, so before taking a paid gig... I'd practice on your own car. Do some mirrors, some hoods with deep indents, practice on the stuff your not sure about.

Before buying your own business... You might want to apply for a job at a wrap shop and try it out. You may find it's not something you want to do and Invest in for the long term. I enjoy wrapping, but if I had to wrap a car everyday I think I'd tear my hair out.

It'll also give you a chance to work with someone experienced on all the different aspects of vehicle wrapping. If it's a proper shop they'll show you the proper techniques of wrapping... The process of removing all the door handles / brake lights, etc, and not just wrapping around them.

Good luck! It's a fun job. That is until you get someone asking you to wrap a motorbike helmet! I don't think I cursed as much in my life as I did that one day.