• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hello from the beautiful Pocono mountains.

Doodle

Hello all! I am new to the vinyl sign making industry as well as to signs101. I found myself here as I am so very frustrated in figuring it all out.
Here's my story. I am a cancer survivor and I chose to begin a non profit organization in which I use my artistic talents by creating custom etched glass and all of the profits go to The American Cancer Society to fund cancer research. Bottles, mirrors, car windows...my motto is "If you can dream it, I can do it."
How did I end up here? My organization deals strictly with donations so we need not worry of overhead costs and a very generous woman donated a Master XY-308 vinyl cutter to us when she discovered I was also trying my hand at auto graphics. If it is going to pay me and may possibly save one cancer patients life it's worth it for me to learn another medium.
HERE'S THE SITUATION....when I received it, it was the cutter. No cords, no legs, no program to run it from. I can swing the cords and legs...........we have tables we can make it work. As I was researching programs....my mind began to spin, free download---virus-- what to do but at this point of the game, I have a few orders which are promising to be very profitable for the ACS, however I am just in no position to afford several hundred dollars for a program to run this.
PLEASE DON'T MISUNDERSTAND ME.....I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ANY HANDOUTS. Simply information as maybe I am missing something, looking for the wrong things....at this point, any information is a God send.
Thanks!!!
Doodle
Pink Warrior

Kottwitz-Graphics

My hats off to you for trying to give back. I don't know anything at all about these cutters, but I'm sure that someone may know a thing or two. If you were to take a photo of the panel on back, some of us may be able to give you a hand as far as what you may need.

With a quick google search, I found out that it is a US Cutter machine. I seem to recall that they have a pretty active forum, and you may be able to get more specific info as far as your plotter there.

As far as the program to run it, again, I'm not sure what "language" the us cutter plotters need, but honestly, Corel Draw is all you need. There are more expensive programs out there, but a lot of folks run corel, and are happy with it, myself included.

Don't forget, even though you guys are a non-profit, that there is value in your work. Price accordingly, because you will be competing against local sign guys that do depend on this work for a living, and to support their families. Just because your donating profits to a charity doesn't mean that you should be cheaper than the locals. I'd even say you could be more expensive, and you will still win bids, but that will depend on the customer, and if they are just going for price alone, or are they going to help a charity.

NateF

Welcome to the Forum! I also live in Lehighton, and own the Minuteman Press shop in Stroudsburg. We actually did a bunch of magnets a month or two ago for the American Cancer Society - good folks!

I'm not familiar with the plotter you have, so I'm afraid I won't be much help there. But good luck with everything!