Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmet Wrap questions.

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by rjssigns, Oct 23, 2012.

1. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Tried to wrap a bicycle helmet twice with Arlon XRP6000 using the trash can method. Both failed besides fading that occurred in the stretched areas. Helmet is similar to a half helmet or skid lid for motorcycles so not much surface area. I think trying to use Arlon is the issue.

Couple questions.
    Best material? I heated the Arlon to about 200F then pushed the helmet into the vinyl. It cooled and stopped stretching almost instantly, which didn't seem right.

What diameter trash can? Mine was 20.5", 23.437" are available. Or should I just make my own ring in a much larger diameter? I'm thinking 30" would work.

Saw the helmet wrap vid with 3M 380, but I am not going to buy it just to play around.

Tags:
  2. GP

GP Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2007
    SC
    curious about this "trash can method."

3. rjssigns

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
  4. GP

GP Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2007
    SC
    wow.

5. formanek

formanek Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Huge waste of material and if you are only doing a little 1/4 helmet this method works. I would like to see that work on a full face helmet or one that is taller than 4". Won't happen.

6. jkdbjj

jkdbjj Active Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Virginia
    That seems too hot to do that and expect it to perform. I'd experiment with a couple brands to see if they behave the same.

7. rjssigns

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    I will try different materials as time permits. I had gotten a huge sample kit from Arlon so decided to give it a shot. Right now I am just going to install cut vinyl lettering per client request.
    The colored wrap would have been a "bonus" for them and learning event for me. Disappointed it didn't work out.

Maybe hydrographics are in my future.