• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Helmet Wrap questions.

rjssigns

Tried to wrap a bicycle helmet twice with Arlon XRP6000 using the trash can method. Both failed besides fading that occurred in the stretched areas. Helmet is similar to a half helmet or skid lid for motorcycles so not much surface area. I think trying to use Arlon is the issue.

Couple questions.
Best material? I heated the Arlon to about 200F then pushed the helmet into the vinyl. It cooled and stopped stretching almost instantly, which didn't seem right.

What diameter trash can? Mine was 20.5", 23.437" are available. Or should I just make my own ring in a much larger diameter? I'm thinking 30" would work.

Saw the helmet wrap vid with 3M 380, but I am not going to buy it just to play around.

formanek

Huge waste of material and if you are only doing a little 1/4 helmet this method works. I would like to see that work on a full face helmet or one that is taller than 4". Won't happen.

jkdbjj

That seems too hot to do that and expect it to perform. I'd experiment with a couple brands to see if they behave the same.

rjssigns

I will try different materials as time permits. I had gotten a huge sample kit from Arlon so decided to give it a shot. Right now I am just going to install cut vinyl lettering per client request.
The colored wrap would have been a "bonus" for them and learning event for me. Disappointed it didn't work out.

Maybe hydrographics are in my future.