• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Helmet wraps

Hi all, I have had a lot of people asking about wrapping helmets instead of painting them. I have been nervous to take one on. I use a roland versacamm sp 300v. Any tips before I tackle one? What vinyl works best for this? Thanks, Tim

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Cast Vinyl like 3M180C would work fine, I know I read about this on here not to long ago so you might try doing a search on the topic but I also remember people doing them in 2 sections not just one piece but I may be wrong. You can do it though for sure I know that. Good Luck!

MikePro

Cast Vinyl like 3M180C would work fine, I know I read about this on here not to long ago so you might try doing a search on the topic but I also remember people doing them in 2 sections not just one piece but I may be wrong. You can do it though for sure I know that. Good Luck!

agreed! 3M180C is great, although they offer a newer product, Cv3, which is the same stuff but doesn't have the "waffle" pattern in the BubbleFree adhesive. I've wrapped a few hard hats for grins around the shop, also handy samples to have to show clients that we can basically wrap anything despite difficult curves.

a seam up the center of the helmet will help if you have text that you do not want to stretch too much on the top/sides. I did my hard hats as one piece, a lotta heat, and a lotta love... but didn't bother with any images I was worried about stretching out.

Mosh

We do them in 3 sections. Alway make your design so where the panels overlap are part of the design. Does that make sence?

Ken1f

I also do them in 3 pcs. One on right half, second on left half and one pc. to cover the seam.

philbi

hi everyone im new to the forum i found you guys by googling helm wraps im a signwriter in tasmania and i am going to be attempting my first helmet wrap i have 4 to do and im nervous as!
any tips on application and design would be greatly appreciated

CentralSigns

My kid does this with cast vinyl. He changes his snowboard helmut colour every so often. He also does computer ipod and anything else. He steels the shop scraps and a blowdryer and goes to town, never tried printed though

Mosh

Price depends on how much design work there is. We have done them for $100 and for $500.

Edserv

After experimenting with car wraps, I can't imagine selling a helmet wrap without suggesting 3M cast vinyl and cast overlaminate.

We've run into several clients wanting us to "wrap" helmets and motor cycle parts. But unless your client is willing to "do it themselves," then you may want to factor in a serious installation fee. Our installer, who traveled from Hawaii to Kansas for Lowen's 3M training, won't touch a project unless it's bid properly. (www.tsunamiwraps.com)
I'm grateful he's helped us with quoting these jobs, because most customers don't have any idea what it takes to properly wrap a decal onto a car, helmet, wall, etc!

Good luck!
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

LowenCertified

Race Car or Motorcycle Helmet Wraps

Hi Tim,

Using 3M vinyl products would be a good method for a successful helmet wrap. Our training instructor, Sean, here at Lowen Certified, suggests a 3 piece graphics install as mentioned by other's good suggestions previously. Two sides and a strip over the top. Sean will be back from working at 3M's booth at the ISA show and will be able to give you more details about this on Monday, if you'd like to give him a call. Don't send your customers somewhere else if you can do it with a little instruction or help. We will be happy to help you through it and you can add these projects to your normal product lines. Sean or I can be reached at: 1-800-835-2365.
Best wishes on your project.
Thanks,
Dennis

roadrage

I know you all like your 3M. Try Avery's 1005 EZ RS Supercast. This stuff is unbelievable and knocks 3M's dick in the dirt when it comes to comformability. You can also lay the ink down heavy if you like and it keeps it's composure when stretching.

Rasmus

I guess it is a solvent ink. You can't do it with UV ink.
I am thinking of trying with our new latex printer next weekend.

Rusley

Grid

Just a side note-

The final locations can be unpredictable. We have a small stock of grid printed IJ180 cv-3 vinyl. Wrap it with the grid, cut it all out and unapply. Just hit it again with the torch so it lays flat and them you have a perfect template with measurements to design from.

One method that worked well for us was to use two rulers to hold the vinyl evenly and using LOTS of heat, then "dunking" the helmet into it. Best of luck, have fun.