• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help applying Vinyl To Vehicle Wing please

simpson246

Hi all, I was attempting to install the vinyl wrap onto my vauxhall astra front wing as a little test to get used to installing the vinyl.

It all started okay until I started getting little creases, to remove these, I lifted the vinyl. heated it and reapplied.
(Looking back, I don't think I should have done this, what do you think?

After this was done, what kept appearing was lots of little bumps which I believe has been caused from where the vinyl has been stretched from the heat. This then caused more marks and in the end, I gaves th up with it.

Is the trick not to use heat in this circumstance and only to use it when applying into groves, door handles etc?

What am I doing wrong to get these marks when squeegeeing and what should be done if they appear?

Vinyl used is : KPMF Airealise

Thanks,

SIGNTIME

I haven't heard of the vinyl but the little but may be adhesive left from when you lifted and reapplied, this will happen if the vinyl is not repositionable.

simpson246

I'd say pay a graphics shop who does this for a living to install it.

Thanks for the reply, I'm giving it a go myself with the intention of going into wrapping in the future.

I've currently wrapped parts like, spoilers, roof's and mirrors etc.

When applying vinyl to parts such as the wing, is it best to only apply heat when you really need too?
Otherwords, not when a crease appears.

When squeegeeing out the air, do creases commonly appear for you pro's out there?

thanks,

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Thanks for the reply, I'm giving it a go myself with the intention of going into wrapping in the future.

I've currently wrapped parts like, spoilers, roof's and mirrors etc.

When applying vinyl to parts such as the wing, is it best to only apply heat when you really need too?
Otherwords, not when a crease appears.

When squeegeeing out the air, do creases commonly appear for you pro's out there?

thanks,

Couple things...like he said..could be residual adhesive left from lifting up, especially if you used primer. As for heating "zippers" or "wrinkles" out...you gotta use finesse and not pull the vinyl in any direction once heated, until it cools. And once heated, it softens...so you have to change how hard and with what buffer you squeegee that spot with. I have no clue about that vinyl.

simpson246

Thank you for that reply, it's much appreciated indeed.

I've just purchased the Justin Pate - Learn To Wrap CD's as I have heard good things about them :)