• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help... Can you apply vinyl to this type of brick?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I am trying to apply digitally printed 3M ... CUT vinyl to this style of brick... it's like apply to sand. Is it possible? What do I need to do?

racVo6_9LVugjF7NdpnzAgTUoRStQtBYh35Z4hP9-ZbaWEy3iGvY8ZhLI0FUN5jzaTB-GjJHH3MwOEVNW_-7lNux6pn5el30FoTTHoxLW6clDvBDvoDP4Ox_tnyvA2jrIN1Wh_zRJySRS7CK_qnV0Kc9O9wmSv7S2cE2ulddFgVkDAZlJLQEq5brv2Ca2q_At0SchQ2gLTvT6g9PEfmJleva2Ctba2t0BakthSQ8JnDsvmiPbKSuMTtp6dyMJT8nv7g-cmW57mD9eRtcvH929uTyGxWEQ3bUjxUEr-Uok4ftVjdrkg8BvCi_xJvr-0UNSZOaJuMhJpJ1PdQyNdFtiodJyrhLaMvWHNSQZua7AVwSUSMu59G9ilsz0gXAjP7zwvr_Kg2uUwIKiMb0TspFY-EPJuYsUZ5J-x4U52W_5TpuOkS5nDuM22uQxigZ62NpLPp7reyNwsPZb25x-oH66tMVz46dvqIRz8aHBacNTXH9QHnx9HJXg1IkX-s8bejfQF68H4NjoSO8DWprdZbxLwPQsjbiDsRByeFeZ6G85YMbJYRI4f_z6TN3i29w8PShMl8Y1b6rgKq4TYCeTSxsz02_uoiS4UpWifcT7M1utbcGgao60tjQnSNvS1dHtP9ZAH2oG5f3vs1mNQcm7IEQPhPWktZdVN6B9A=w659-h494-no

TimToad

I have no idea... It was shipped to me. I used a brush to sand off some of the loose grit.

That's about the best you can do. We've used a couple brands of rough surface vinyl and the trick seems to be to heat the hell out of it once its on the surface. You'll literally see it melt into the surface like shrink wrap.

Johnny Best

You might have to seal that brick. The finish might have to much "grit" for the adhesive not being able to stick.
Sometimes the mason will "wash" the mortar, which has sand and binder in it to get that effect.
Try using some TSP in water and clean and let dry an area to help make the vinyl to adhere.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You might have to seal that brick. The finish might have to much "grit" for the adhesive not being able to stick.
Sometimes the mason will "wash" the mortar, which has sand and binder in it to get that effect.
Try using some TSP in water and clean and let dry an area to help make the vinyl to adhere.

What's TSP?

This wouldnt be so bad if it was CUT vinyl on premask. They said someone did it before by using vinegar and water ... But that doesn't remove the half inch large chuncks of mortar splattered everywhere.

TimToad

What's TSP?

This wouldnt be so bad if it was CUT vinyl on premask. They said someone did it before by using vinegar and water ... But that doesn't remove the half inch large chuncks of mortar splattered everywhere.

Yeah, the whole distressed look is so in right now, but mot folks don't realize that there are still real signpainters out there who can do something that matches the distress in the bricks.

What does the vinyl feel like to you? The rough surface vinyl is even a little thinner than cast wrap is.

Is it meant to be permanent? If not, I'd just get the wall as clean as you can without opening a whole can of worms, stick it, heat it big time and call it done.

If it's meant to be on there for any length of time, get a masonry sealer and just apply it over the entire area that will be under the decal.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thanks for the info. I would just slap it on there and heat the hell out of it, but some of the cut vinyl pieces are about the size of a finger. Getting them off the application tape is near impossible. I can get the larger pieces to kinda stick in areas, but the small ones are a no go. Whole decal is like 4' x 10'. I told the company that subbed me out whats going on and they said they need to figure it out and will let me know.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible to see what you are putting on as to what is die-cut and what is digitally printed ??

As for the condition of the brick, I'd say take a power washer to it, let it dry thoroughly and then paint a coat or two of clear sealer on it. If that thing is crumbling and dusty, your vinyl is only gonna stick to that crap and never have good adhesion with the actual wall.

unclebun

re: your original question, the answer is no. You cannot apply vinyl to that kind of brick.

Possibly you might get high strength adhesive vinyl in a large sheet to stick and even conform with heat. But it will not last as you'd expect it to on, say, an aluminum panel.

TimToad

Thanks for the info. I would just slap it on there and heat the hell out of it, but some of the cut vinyl pieces are about the size of a finger. Getting them off the application tape is near impossible. I can get the larger pieces to kinda stick in areas, but the small ones are a no go. Whole decal is like 4' x 10'. I told the company that subbed me out whats going on and they said they need to figure it out and will let me know.

Oh no. They diecut it? Into pieces that small?

WTF? Don't people selling these projects know anything about the materials needed to pull it off?

Good luck my man.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Oh no. They diecut it? Into pieces that small?

WTF? Don't people selling these projects know anything about the materials needed to pull it off?

Good luck my man.

Yeah they did. Everything looks good on computer screens and paper...but when comes down to the installer...ugh! It's like applying vinyl to sand.

I finished the inside mural part of the job, we'll wait and see what they say about this brick mess.

And Gino, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it, I sign confidentiality agreements on these jobs. Not sure why though, anyone can drive by this place and see what it is.

AKwrapguy

I am trying to apply digitally printed 3M ... CUT vinyl to this style of brick... it's like apply to sand. Is it possible? What do I need to do?

racVo6_9LVugjF7NdpnzAgTUoRStQtBYh35Z4hP9-ZbaWEy3iGvY8ZhLI0FUN5jzaTB-GjJHH3MwOEVNW_-7lNux6pn5el30FoTTHoxLW6clDvBDvoDP4Ox_tnyvA2jrIN1Wh_zRJySRS7CK_qnV0Kc9O9wmSv7S2cE2ulddFgVkDAZlJLQEq5brv2Ca2q_At0SchQ2gLTvT6g9PEfmJleva2Ctba2t0BakthSQ8JnDsvmiPbKSuMTtp6dyMJT8nv7g-cmW57mD9eRtcvH929uTyGxWEQ3bUjxUEr-Uok4ftVjdrkg8BvCi_xJvr-0UNSZOaJuMhJpJ1PdQyNdFtiodJyrhLaMvWHNSQZua7AVwSUSMu59G9ilsz0gXAjP7zwvr_Kg2uUwIKiMb0TspFY-EPJuYsUZ5J-x4U52W_5TpuOkS5nDuM22uQxigZ62NpLPp7reyNwsPZb25x-oH66tMVz46dvqIRz8aHBacNTXH9QHnx9HJXg1IkX-s8bejfQF68H4NjoSO8DWprdZbxLwPQsjbiDsRByeFeZ6G85YMbJYRI4f_z6TN3i29w8PShMl8Y1b6rgKq4TYCeTSxsz02_uoiS4UpWifcT7M1utbcGgao60tjQnSNvS1dHtP9ZAH2oG5f3vs1mNQcm7IEQPhPWktZdVN6B9A=w659-h494-no

Yes you can. I 3M training you have to apply a graphic to a wall just like that to pass. Brush off the area like and you will need a heat gun that goes to about 900-1000 degree, and a soft foam roller.

Apply the material and than go back over it with the heat gun and foam roller. You should see the material suck into the brick.

Here's a video.

AKwrapguy

re: your original question, the answer is no. You cannot apply vinyl to that kind of brick.

Possibly you might get high strength adhesive vinyl in a large sheet to stick and even conform with heat. But it will not last as you'd expect it to on, say, an aluminum panel.

You can apply material to that type of brick. You just have to clean it first, either power wash it, or use a stiff bristle brush. The key is prep and heat.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yes you can. I 3M training you have to apply a graphic to a wall just like that to pass. Brush off the area like and you will need a heat gun that goes to about 900-1000 degree, and a soft foam roller.

Apply the material and than go back over it with the heat gun and foam roller. You should see the material suck into the brick.

Here's a video.

I saw that video already and that is beyond not what I'm doing. Their brick is clean and uniform and they are applying a large retangleular decal. Mine is sandy, not uniform and I'm applying 180 that is die cut and on premask.

I've done brick before, just not this kind. I sat there and brushed and brushed the grit off but it seams that there is always more to get off. Also there are chuncks of mortar that I can't brush off. They cautioned me about cleaning the brick too aggressively, I don't want to ruin the wall.

visual800

Not that anyone cares, that needs to be painted. all the pressure washing, wiping it down, grinding it smooth, just a waste of time. Find a painter

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
1. Yes you can install on a wall like that. You don’t need to paint or grind or anything like that. Maybe pressure wash but definitely a cleaning with a hard bristled brush. Then you need the proper foam roller and heat gun that can get to 1000 degrees. Yes that is correct 1000!!!

2. 180 is not the correct vinyl to use!!!!! 480 if not the wall vinyl (sorry don’t remember the number off the top of my head)

3. Looks like you will have to cut out the mortar joints. This is typical with this type of install.

signman315

Signmaker
This is where a little professional salesmanship comes in lmao...let them know you want to solve the issue as much as they do and take the opportunity to explain that since the vinyl will never stick and is a lost cause that they should upgrade to a fancy digital billboard or better yet a classy 3D carved sign/display...chances are they won’t want to make the budget for such a thing, so then you offer a really elegantly designed banner (much easier to hang than cut vinyl by the way)...or even one of those quick change banner frames so they could change out the banner affordably every so often...or if needs to conform to a “hipster” taste then you could build out a deep frame (wood or aluminum) and wrap a banner onto it...would give it that borderless look like a canvas painting...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
This is where a little professional salesmanship comes in lmao...let them know you want to solve the issue as much as they do and take the opportunity to explain that since the vinyl will never stick and is a lost cause that they should upgrade to a fancy digital billboard or better yet a classy 3D carved sign/display...chances are they won’t want to make the budget for such a thing, so then you offer a really elegantly designed banner (much easier to hang than cut vinyl by the way)...or even one of those quick change banner frames so they could change out the banner affordably every so often...or if needs to conform to a “hipster” taste then you could build out a deep frame (wood or aluminum) and wrap a banner onto it...would give it that borderless look like a canvas painting...

I am subbed installer. This is a very large fast food chain and I have ZIP to do with any decision making. This is a relatively new concept store so as far as I know this is the second time this brick has been used on a new store...the rest have been conversions of old buildings.

So far we're in a holding mode, till the powers at be figure something out.