• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Help Changing Out The Long Carriage Cables VP-540(i)

player

I have a VP-540i and have issues I have posted in other threads.

I have changed out the 8 head cables with no effect good or bad.

Now it's time for the 3 long carriage cables that go from the mainboard to the heads, with extra length to run down the length of the printer.

There looks like there may be a trick or two when changing these cables...

Anyone have any tips or video links or instructions on how to do this change out?

Thanks

player

Well I came up with one solution. Since I really only need to test the 3 cables, instead of removing the old cables and re-harnessing the new cables cables, I will just inplug the cables at the mainboard and the carriage board. I will plug in the new ones, and carefully hand manage them while I do a test print. (Then I can go order a new mainboard...)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I haven't done this procedure on this specific model but usually when I change long cables that need to be routed properly, I just unplug the old ones, tape the new ones to the old ones and then pull them through by the old cables. It takes the old ones out and puts the new ones in in one movement!

player

I haven't done this procedure on this specific model but usually when I change long cables that need to be routed properly, I just unplug the old ones, tape the new ones to the old ones and then pull them through by the old cables. It takes the old ones out and puts the new ones in in one movement!
Thanks. These 3 cables have 50% outside the inner space, and a slot half way they get to the inside through. No problem. Then inside they are clamped every 2" with a clamp that holds the 3 cables plus the 4 ink lines. So there is no way to pull through. It is really cramped. I would suspect the service guy would take off the cutter cables and remove the track that hides the 3 cables I want to access. But I will most likely just suffer and work it through without tearing anything more apart than I have to.

UPDATE: After plugging in the new cables without installing them, the printer printed 2 perfect test prints. This is not definitive of a fix as the printer has been SEVERELY intermittent, and the cable swap may have nothing to do with it working. However it is hopeful, and I will now have to install the new cables. Installing them is where I could use some instruction.

Last edited:

player

Update: I reassembled the printer. Everything is back perfectly. I never lost a single screw. Printer is still working. I don't trust it, but I will take this as a win. IF it screws up again it will be a new mainboard for sure, although I may send it out to a board repair company before I pay the almost $2K for the board...

IslandSignWorks

I just did this on our SP-540v. It helps to loosen the carriage from the back. The Sp540 has a couple of plastic hooks that keep it from dangling and damaging cords when it's unbolted.

Start at the front of the machine and remove all the rivets that hold the cable down, including any clamps or other bits that hold the cable down. Ours all came out just with a thumbnail, but an Olfa knife might work as well. Unscrew the cable from the sensor board and unplug it. Then uplug the other end from the main board. Tape the new cable to the old cable and start gently feeding the new cable through from the front. It helps to have two people - one on the front pulling the old cable, and the other on the back feeding the new one. When you get the whole thing through, plug it in to both ends and start putting back all the rivets. Make sure there is no slack in the cable between the guides.