• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help choosing inks for Mimaki JV33 SS21 or Eco Solvent

nash87

Hi,
I have a printer that i bought used from someone that needs new ink and a new print head.
The printer came with ss21 inks but I am wondering if I should switch to eco solvent inks now that I have to switch them out.

I have a mutoh valuejet that runs on mutoh eco solvent inks that hardly smell but am a little worried about the solvent smell of ss21 inks since I have a small shop with no ventilation.
I've never smelled the ss21 inks before so I wanted to ask for you opinions.

Also, anyone running eco solvent inks on a mimaki jv33? If so where did you get your profiles? I am having trouble finding profiles for this ink
so am also wondering if its even worth the hassle to switch or if I should just keep the ss21 inks if the smell is not that different.

Any advice is highly appreciated.
Will be running the machine using Wasatch Softrip

Thanks
Renzo

particleman

What rip are you using? Mimaki provides decent profiles for the JV33/CJV with rasterlink. The ES3 inks will have basically no smell, I've been around them a lot on the CJV30 which is essentially a JV33. The SS21 inks will have a smell. If you are generally printing on vinyl and laminating most prints then ES3 inks won't really be an issue.

nash87

Thanks for the quick reply, I am using Wasatch Softrip 7.0
When you switched from the ss21 ink profiles to es3 ink did you notice a large difference in color?
What brand ink do you use?

I've seen Bordoux and Solaris inks at fellers but so many options I'm not sure which to use and if I would have to re profile
or if I'm going to have head clogging issues from not using the oem ink.

Laz0924

I am running eco solvent with a cjv30 and there are not many profiles out there most are for solvent, I have a grand total of 5 profiles with Rasterlink. They work pretty good but only 5.

particleman

Thanks for the quick reply, I am using Wasatch Softrip 7.0
When you switched from the ss21 ink profiles to es3 ink did you notice a large difference in color?
What brand ink do you use?

I've seen Bordoux and Solaris inks at fellers but so many options I'm not sure which to use and if I would have to re profile
or if I'm going to have head clogging issues from not using the oem ink.

We've just been sticking with OEM Mimaki ink. I was just dealing with colors a few days ago with the ES3 inkset. In my opinion it is a nice color gamut compared to other inks I've seen. We never switched from SS21, but I'm familiar with the inkset already from other machines. I can tell you head clogging is not really an issue at all either with OEM ink.

My only advice on profiles is to invest in a bit of profiling equipment. Something like the i1 is readily available on ebay for a decent price and from that you can create your own profiles for your media. Generally the process isn't too hard to do and it worth the investment.