• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help! Edge 2 foils won't advance

dsignpro

I have been printing mainly black decals on my Edge 2 printer. No issues ever. I just tried different cartridges, at least 12 of them. None of them will advance the foil. I keep getting the "check foil" error. When I put the black cartridge in, the problem isn't there. I have a small basement sign business that certainly cannot afford a new printer. Does anyone have some insight on what is going on with my printer? Any help at all is enormously appreciated.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Are you sure you're putting them in the right way? Sounds like your motor may be going out otherwise.

gabagoo

Are they all Gerber Foils or a mix of different brands. I find that Duracoat cartridges can sometimes have the teeth broken off and have trouble advancing, but you say everything except black does not work, which is very strange

Ready

Ready To Go
When that happened on my Gerber FX, it turned out to be the clutches that control the movement of the foil. It was recommended by Gerber support at the time to replace both the left side and right side clutches as they are the same age. The clutches were very expensive and required allen wrenches, and some help from a tech at Gerber to remove the old ones and replace them with the new ones. Apparently the tech time is part of the parts cost.

Good luck ... Bob P

I have been printing mainly black decals on my Edge 2 printer. No issues ever. I just tried different cartridges, at least 12 of them. None of them will advance the foil. I keep getting the "check foil" error. When I put the black cartridge in, the problem isn't there. I have a small basement sign business that certainly cannot afford a new printer. Does anyone have some insight on what is going on with my printer? Any help at all is enormously appreciated.

Billct2

Weird that only black works....same questions, all the same kind of foils? Can you wind them by hand?

dsignpro

Weird that only black works....same questions, all the same kind of foils? Can you wind them by hand?
Are they all Gerber Foils or a mix of different brands. I find that Duracoat cartridges can sometimes have the teeth broken off and have trouble advancing, but you say everything except black does not work, which is very strange

It is very strange. I use mostly ZeroNine foils in modified gerber cartridges. They have always worked before. I did try it again today and had the same problem. I then recreated my graphic and it started working, with the exception of one cartridge. I am wondering if the file could somehow be corrupt and causing the Edge to malfunction. Thank you for your response. I will check for broken teeth.

gabagoo

I can't think the file has anything to do with it at all. If the printer asks for a foil then it has a plan to use it. Can you detail just what happens after you put the foil in? Does it try to print or does the machine just sit idle?

Marlene

It is very strange. I use mostly ZeroNine foils in modified gerber cartridges. They have always worked before. I did try it again today and had the same problem. I then recreated my graphic and it started working, with the exception of one cartridge. I am wondering if the file could somehow be corrupt and causing the Edge to malfunction. Thank you for your response. I will check for broken teeth.

Do you have any full on Gerber foils, no refilled that you can try? I tried using Duracoat with their refillable cartridges and had to stop as I ran into issues like yours. If you have a real Gerber foil and it works, it is the off brands that are giving you trouble.

dsignpro

Do you have any full on Gerber foils, no refilled that you can try? I tried using Duracoat with their refillable cartridges and had to stop as I ran into issues like yours. If you have a real Gerber foil and it works, it is the off brands that are giving you trouble.

One of the foils that will not advance at all is a Gerber foil. I have no answer as to what is happening although I have noticed more issues with foils that are heavier on the take-up side of the cartridge. It may be the motor wearing out, but the same foils that I get the error on with one print job, will print when I changed the job file I am using. I also have an issue with the bar that holds the vinyl down. When the vinyl backs up for the next foil, it occasionally jumps off the teeth of the vinyl roller. I don't know how to stop this from happening but it may also be triggering the "check foil" sensor.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Sounds like your Edge is needing some maintenance. Unfortunately, there aren't any "local techs" out there that can come look at it and tell you what needs replaced. A lot of parts wear out over time and most of us just deal with the issues and make workarounds until it becomes a big issue. Things like springs, clamps, etc wear out over time and need replaced. Fortunately, most parts for the Edge are still available for purchase. Do you ever lubricate the moving parts on your machine? (sewing machine oil or 3-in1 oil)

Joe House

Call Gerber support or a dealer. Pay the fee. It's probably the clutches, but it sounds like you have other issues as well. Make a list of all the issues before you call and maximize the value of the call. They are very good about helping you out.
I really hope that you (and all shops) budget for repairs. I've been to more than one shop to fix this or that and the owner complains about the cost of repairs right after (or before) they brag about how they're killing the competition because their overhead is so low and they don't see the connection.
Good luck

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I would check all your connections and make sure you're not getting an error because something isn't connected properly. The foils that aren't working, have you tried advancing the foil on the cartridge, so it's solid before you put it in the Edge? I've found that if I've done a full print that the machine doesn't always want to feed the foil through the next time. I need to waste a bit of foil to get it going.

dsignpro

Sounds like your Edge is needing some maintenance. Unfortunately, there aren't any "local techs" out there that can come look at it and tell you what needs replaced. A lot of parts wear out over time and most of us just deal with the issues and make workarounds until it becomes a big issue. Things like springs, clamps, etc wear out over time and need replaced. Fortunately, most parts for the Edge are still available for purchase. Do you ever lubricate the moving parts on your machine? (sewing machine oil or 3-in1 oil)

I haven't. I have used oil on my Gerber Envision, although it makes me nervous thinking I may short something out if I put it in the wrong place. I have taken the foil cartridges and cut away all the used foil and found that most of the cartridges will then work with the added weight removed.