• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help! I need EXPERT vinyl install coach.

decalman

I'm enclosing a picture of the front cap of a voltage RV.
Over the years, I have installed the big decal on the curved front part of these fifth wheels, and had bad results. I messed one up and actually had to pay for the thing. Years later I messed another one up, l took hours to get on, and I just didn't get paid but I didn't have to pay for that one.
This is number 3.

I thoroughly warned the customer that these are very hard to put on. And that I have had already had a bad track record, with these. He is kind of desperate to get it done. He told me just do the best you can.

He relieved me of damage responsibility. I told him to expect some creases on this. I cannot seem to get these to go on without creases.

If somebody out there has put these decals on these curves surfaces without creases, please explain to me how to correctly proceed.
I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you very much

PART 2
I AM FINISHED WITH IT.
I got payed am done.
The customer is satisfied, and so am I.
I had to wrestle the thing on in 104 degrees temp. Now I take 2 month summer vacation, with extra diesel money.

I did remove the mask first, for the center piece, still came out with creases, but the customer is cool. Here's a pic. ( don't look to close please)

Attachments

• 20190702_184350.jpg
    20190702_184350.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 344
  • 20190703_134658.jpg
    20190703_134658.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
How are they failing? I see a weathered decal and that's not an installation problem. I'd charge for the removal and reinstallation. Are you making these or getting them from the manufacturer? If you get them from the manufacturer I would not warranty that.

If it were me, I'd be doing that as two peices at least...not one big decal. I'd work from center outwards.

Stacey K

I like making signs
That doesn't look like fun. I deleted my advice, it wasn't good LOL

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
What does the decal look like? Is it an air release film? Is it laminated or premasked?
If it is not air release I'd lam it onto a sheet of 180c or something similar - take off any premask if it is all one piece and work it like a regular wrap. Vertical center hinge moving outwards. Heat and let it cool when it starts to get stressed and bunched up. Looks like a big curvy hood, in a hard to work on location, but still doable in one piece (I think).

2B

our installers use a lot of techniques from Justin Pate with Wrap Institute.
they looked at this and would break it down into 4 sections, then work the triangle to the edge.

hopefully, it is wrap film with air release channels

also, make sure you work in the shade, direct sun will stretch and cause the glue to activate.

decalman

What does the decal look like? Is it an air release film? Is it laminated or premasked?
If it is not air release I'd lam it onto a sheet of 180c or something similar - take off any premask if it is all one piece and work it like a regular wrap. Vertical center hinge moving outwards. Heat and let it cool when it starts to get stressed and bunched up. Looks like a big curvy hood, in a hard to work on location, but still doable in one piece (I think).

It's 2 pieces. I just cleaned the old decal often put on the outer decal. It turns out these decals are old. Been in the guy's garage for who knows how many years. It's near Phoenix so it gets pretty hot. The mask is very high tack and welded on.
It's creased up on the right side but they can be worked out .
This decal is old so it had pre-existing creases

I'm in a situation now where the mask cannot come off. I've soaked it with water tried my best I don't know how to get this mask off. This isn't my fault and the guy knows it.....so going to work it out somehow ~ today. I wonder if you have any ideas and how to get this old high-tack mask off?

In the future I consider your advice on taking off the mask, and working it on like a wrap.

Attachments

• 20190703_083652.jpg
    20190703_083652.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 218

equippaint

Travel trailer graphics are bottom of the barrel. It will probably leave residue and I don't think these decals are laminated usually so cleaning will likely take off the print. A big problem with factory decals is inventory runs are made during production year and then they sit in a warehouse for years until someone buys them. Half are on crap material and everything's masked when it shouldn't be. Peeling the mask off first is a PITA and wants to stretch out the material.

2B

this is sounding more and more like a PITA.
old with welding on transfer tape.....

wash your hands and wish them best of luck

Stacey K

I like making signs
Oh geez...tell him it's just not going to work out. Why not just solid cut the word Voltage and a V underneath with metallic gray or something, maybe add some bolts of lightening and call it good? Much easier and will cost less for the customer. Tell him the mask cannot be removed...but I have another option for you...