• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Help installing wall graphics

chartle

First I did not create the vinyl for this project. Someone I occasionally print stuff for is out of town installing some wall vinyl and has a problem.

Its Mojave SPMWG6 http://www.mojavedigitalmedia.com/digital-media/mojave1/wall-graphics/wall-graphics/item/179-spmwg6

The vinyl must have been rolled liner out, vinyl in and I've found sometimes pops the vinyl off the liner and when you unroll it it sometimes puckers. Well this happened and there is a line of vinyl that won't stick down.

I'm trying to help him figure out how to fix it. Also he is 200 miles away so can't go by to help him.

He also unrolled everything and let it sit overnight to acclimate to the space.

wall.jpg

Last edited:

ikarasu

Only option really is a heat gun. It warms the glue up and causes it to stick better... I'd slowly heat it and press it down. If that doesn't work... You may be out of luck.

chartle

Thats what I told him. Gentle heat and pressing down with something like a rag or a roller
so he doesn't "smear" the vinyl.

Last edited:

chartle

Ok My guy reported back that with heat and pressure it did not stay stuck down. He lifted it up and tried some sort of spray adhesive. Its stuck down but he says there is sort of a shadow.

He's going to talk to the people that produced the vinyl.

chartle

Ok more problems. Again I didn't print these but the same wall has issues. It appears to be mostly the edges someone told my friend who is installed them there is some sort of magic "adhesive" that can stick them back down. Also he is heading to this office right now and just asked me if there is something he can find in a store to fix it.

thanks

Attachments

• bad wall graphics.jpg
    bad wall graphics.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 259

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Is it possible he didn't apply it right? Like did the vinyl try to winkle and he worked it in and those areas had too my tension and are now lifting?

TimToad

What a mess. It really looks like they rolled them liner out AND the wall surface is repelling against the vinyl. What kind of experience level is your friend at?

I'm not sure there is much to be done to make the vinyl lose its memory of being both rolled wrong and installed improperly.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks as though he was too gentle while squeegeeing it all down. Your first picture showed a bubbling effect everywhere. Is that drywall or wall paper underneath ??

None of my concern but what is " a lifetime of education decisions ?? Would make more sense education AND decisions or educated decisions or educational decisions, but not what is there presently.​

bigben

I've always rolled my murals liner outside without any problem in the last 8 years. I've tried mojave in the past and did not like it. If your friend have stick and unstick the vinyl on the wall during the installation, the glue have tendency to go off the vinyl. But I never saw that kind of problem. It look like there was too much material at the same place (wrong squeegee technique). I would try to peel off from the right side, heat it a little and put it back.

In the first picture, you can definitely see that the installer don't have a proper training/experience just by see how the cut work have been made around the thermostat. You can see a little ''finger'' in the corner because the material has not been stretched and apply properly. And this probably caused the other ''tunel'' on the bottom.

bigben

Looks as though he was too gentle while squeegeeing it all down. Your first picture showed a bubbling effect everywhere.

With the bubbles metionned by Gino, I would definitely say it's a wrong installation. If not, maybe the paint is still outgassing and/or wrong paint.

fresh

I installed a phototex mural in my own house, and I had similar problems. The wall was painted plaster and on top it holding a lot of moisture, its pretty warped. AND, I overestimated my ability to install 9ft by 52" panels, vertically mounted, by myself. I think there is a variety of errors here, and the only fix is to reprint. I'd probably use an air-release vinyl with lamination and bring a helper.

Also, I agree the cutout around the thermometer looks amateur.

chartle

What a mess. It really looks like they rolled them liner out AND the wall surface is repelling against the vinyl. What kind of experience level is your friend at?

I'm not sure there is much to be done to make the vinyl lose its memory of being both rolled wrong and installed improperly.

Yes the the graphics were delivered liner out. My friend does not have a huge experience installing wall material.

With the bubbles metionned by Gino, I would definitely say it's a wrong installation. If not, maybe the paint is still outgassing and/or wrong paint.

Yes this is new rushed construction. Not sure how long the paint was allowed to out gas but pretty sure it was at most 2 weeks but maybe more like a week.

Bly

I've never used that product but it says it's a low tack ultra removable adhesive.
If there's any contamination on the surface it's not gonna stay down.
Use something with a bit more aggressive adhesive or repaint the wall.
Or maybe pull it off and wipe down with iso before applying the new wrap.

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
I installed a phototex mural in my own house, and I had similar problems. The wall was painted plaster and on top it holding a lot of moisture, its pretty warped. AND, I overestimated my ability to install 9ft by 52" panels, vertically mounted, by myself. I think there is a variety of errors here, and the only fix is to reprint. I'd probably use an air-release vinyl with lamination and bring a helper.

Also, I agree the cutout around the thermometer looks amateur.

I'd agree, I would think reprint is the only option.....

PS, I just looked at the thermostat pic again..... Did he not remove the thermostat to install?!?!!

MikePro

woof. i've been there, and those bubbles on easy-apply fabric materials never want to go away.
most of these products "suggest" a 30-day drying period for freshly painted wall surfaces, and most importantly, not to expose to printing temperatures higher than 200degrees. Also, just a thought, but during application did the installer take the graphics that laid-flat overnight and roll them back-up graphic-side-in to handle during install?

kcollinsdesign

Old member
There's no fixing that installation.

I'm guessing the problem is an unpainted wall, uncured paint (less than 30 days), dirt or grease, or humidity of some sort. Also these types of problems can occur if there was any "re-positioning" done during the install. It doesn't look like it, but if the material was top laminated that could cause problems too (Mohave does not recommend overlaminate for this film).

Redo it, making sure the wall is primed, painted, bone dry and clean. You may also choose a product with a more agreesive adhesive, but the low-tack products designed for this application usually work just fine.

Note: properly applied quality latex paint should be dry within 5 days (under ideal conditions). YMMV.

chartle

Also I work pretty much only with Grimco since they bought Pioneer Supply which was my old supplier that is literally 2 blocks away.

I'm almost 100% vehicle graphics so this wall stuff is new to me. But Grimco is of course pushing their Brighline Product that i think is called RAD something RADV54150.

I made a few panels for I think this office (not in the pics) and my friend told me that this product is also having issues and is curling at the edges. Someone else my friend talked to thinks this issue is the full bleed and it shrinking. I laid my panels out overnight, trimmed them and they were installed a few days later.

Maybe I need a "best practises" tutorial on this wall stuff. I'm 100% self taught in fact I start at this company being the Network/PC support person and sort of fell into running these machines since they fired that person a few weeks before I started. What helped was I had used AI before.

thanks for the help cliff

bigben

The best paint is the cheapest contractor type paint. Wait 30 days for the paint to outgas. If you want to be 100% sure a mural will stick, use GARDZ primer sealer on top of the paint.