• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help Need someone who can Laser Etch an Oversize Acrylic

SAR.Summerlin

So my local guy backed out after agreeing to the job and taking a deposit. i need someone who can laser etch a 30' H x 72" W piece of 1/4" acrylic with polished edges. We are lighting it with a led strip and it needs to be full etch. I have attached a sample of what we need done. The grey circles are for standoff holes. I need a vendor that can do this ASAP preferably on the west coast. Can anyone connect me to such a person.

:thankyou:

Attachments

• Saggese_Acrylic_72x30_Etch.jpg
    Saggese_Acrylic_72x30_Etch.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 84

2B

go to SGIA, you are there and they will be able to help if not do it there

CES020

Most laser owners don't have that sort of capacity, unless they have pass thru doors, which only a brand or two have, and that's the wrong way to do that job with the lines all the way across like that.

Kern makes a large laser that would do that easily. Call Kern tomorrow and ask for someone in your area with one of their machines. I'm sure they can help you.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Please excuse my total ignorance.

What is the difference in the final look on acrylic between laser etching and sand blasting with a mask if possible or some similar and more widely available process?

SAR.Summerlin

All good thoughts I will check Bane. We had a sample made up with just a router and it looks awful all kinds of swirl marks where the bit starts and stops. As to sandblast we don't have that capability so I would have to find someone. I also don't know how the light would diffuse through sandblast I would have to get a sample to check. I am new to this and this is a monster of a project. A couple of people are at SIGA today and maybe they can get some answers.

Still if you have any suggestions more than willing to hear them.

m giese

If Bane can't do it i have the name of a sign shop that has a 5x10 laser that can, but they are usually really busy, and then you would have the cost of crating and shipping finished product, but that would be no different than Bane. I think I would call a couple of the companies that make large lasers, vytek, multicam, etc and asked them for known installations in your area with a large bed. If you find one close by you would also be able to manage the quality control. There used to be a production plastic shop in vegas that advertised a large bed, but that was a while ago and i cant remember their name, may have it at home.

sar bossier

Call Roger Robinson at the Sign*A*Rama Midway road in Dallas,Tx. He is a expert with this type of work. Is it 5 p.m. yet!:bushmill:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm a sandblaster (monuments and occasional glass projects), and I'd be willing to bet a crisp one-hundred dollar bill that a sandblasted image will have a more consistent and "pleasing" etch than lasering, provided its done properly.

Sandblasted glass and lasered glass don't even begin to compare. Lasering tends to show scan lines.

JB

SAR.Summerlin

If Bane can't do it i have the name of a sign shop that has a 5x10 laser that can, but they are usually really busy, and then you would have the cost of crating and shipping finished product, but that would be no different than Bane. I think I would call a couple of the companies that make large lasers, vytek, multicam, etc and asked them for known installations in your area with a large bed. If you find one close by you would also be able to manage the quality control. There used to be a production plastic shop in vegas that advertised a large bed, but that was a while ago and i cant remember their name, may have it at home.

You may be thinking of Welch Plastics they are the ones that flaked on us.

CES020

I'm a sandblaster (monuments and occasional glass projects), and I'd be willing to bet a crisp one-hundred dollar bill that a sandblasted image will have a more consistent and "pleasing" etch than lasering, provided its done properly.

Sandblasted glass and lasered glass don't even begin to compare. Lasering tends to show scan lines.

JB

I'd take your $100 all day long on acrylic, which is what was asked about. Glass, I'd say you're totally right. I can do a 3 or 4 pt font on acrylic all day long. COMPLETELY different than doing glass.

You only see scan lines in glass when someone doesn't know how to use their laser. I'm not saying lasering glass looks better than sandblasting at all. I think sandblasting is SUPERIOR to laser on glass, hands down. On acrylic, not so much.