• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help needed for cutting.080

Seano32

I am trying to cut some letters on our router and having a hell of a time. I am using and onsrud bit (63-620) and also cutting on 5052 alum sheets. I am running @13800 max rpm and running a feed rate of 50 IPS, but getting build up on the bit and ruining the cut. Any advice?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
5052 is better for applications where bending is required. 6061 is better for machining. Might want to switch up your alloy.

nwsigns

And slow your RPMs down to around 9k. I run mine at 8000RPM 1/4" end mill upcut at 50 IPM but also run a vortex air cooler. Your problem is that the aluminum is soft, getting hot and then gumming up your bit which as you know makes a nasty mess and ruins your bit. Make sure your bit is sharp - as in perfect.

Seano32

Ok. I have a new bit and will try to slow it down. I have an air line blowing directly on the bit and cut area. Would this be ok? Also I have read in other places to spray the bit with wd 40 to help. Opinions on this.