• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help Please....will screen printing work for me

bagdaddys

Currently I produce all of my logos on my product by hand......mask, exacto and brushed. Business is picking up and I need to increase my production. I am curious to get everyones opinion on screen printing and if it would be something worth getting into.

Rather than go into detail on my product please just check out my site to get an idea of what I do....www.bagdaddys.com. I am reproducing collegiate logos (yes I am licensed:smile:) and other various logos onto my product per the customers request. The logos are large and applied to 2'x4' piece of 3/4" birch plywood. My intital concerns about printing are (without knowing anything about it)
**can i still get the fine line detail I am getting now with my current process
**for multiple color printing, is it achievable to get the second, third, forth color screens lined up exactly where I need them in order to prevent paint overlap or gaps between the colors

Any help or advice would be great. If there is someone out there who would avdvise a different process please do. I have also thought about the possiblity of laser cut reusable stencils and spray application.

TammieH

What are your quantities? Screen printing is definitely the most cost effective way to go IF you are set up. If not it will cost you some $$$.

If you haven't screen printed before, its best to hire someone that has, for if nothing else just to get you started. You can go old school and use Ulano Stay Sharp and hand cut your films, the films are then mounted to the screen using lacquer thinner, but that is expensive for small runs. Otherwise you need a dark room, etc.

I would check into having a screen shop do the silk screening for you.

For small quantities you might have a vinyl shop cut your graphics for now, (1 or 2 orders at a time.)

At this point, you are all in, or not.

Locals Find!

Just my opinion but, looking over your website what makes your product stand out from the competition is the fact that they are hand painted.

You could go with a subbed out digital print but, its going to look like a digital print. Your method of hand painting them is much classier and adds a bit of nostalgia to your product. I would pay more and be more likely to buy something that was hand painted by an artist over something with a digital print that any chinese kid can produce and sell at walmart.

Pat Whatley

Hi, hire a sign company to screenprint them for you. If you're doing 10 or so at a time the price isn't going to be too outrageous.

Your logo really, really needs some attention.

bagdaddys

Hi, hire a sign company to screenprint them for you. If you're doing 10 or so at a time the price isn't going to be too outrageous.

Your logo really, really needs some attention.

Thought about hiring someone but I decided I am keeping it house....for now.

Whats wrong with the logo........I know I know. I dont hav ethe digital equipment to get it in the shape I need it to be in. The banner on the site is crappy but I am working on that. Any advise on the logo?

bagdaddys

Just my opinion but, looking over your website what makes your product stand out from the competition is the fact that they are hand painted.

You could go with a subbed out digital print but, its going to look like a digital print. Your method of hand painting them is much classier and adds a bit of nostalgia to your product. I would pay more and be more likely to buy something that was hand painted by an artist over something with a digital print that any chinese kid can produce and sell at walmart.

I agree totally. Its a battle that I am fighting with myself daily. I will always continue to create the hand painted items but I have retail outfits interested in carrying my product and I just cant put out the numbers needed doing it all by hand.

vid

Currently I produce all of my logos on my product by hand......mask, exacto and brushed. Business is picking up and I need to increase my production. I am curious to get everyones opinion on screen printing and if it would be something worth getting into.

Heavy Volume --- Yes.

Short Run/Custom --- Probably not.

**can i still get the fine line detail I am getting now with my current process?

Better.

**for multiple color printing, is it achievable to get the second, third, forth color screens lined up exactly where I need them in order to prevent paint overlap or gaps between the colors?

Yes, with an appropriate set-up.
A jig with pin registration starting in the exposure process through the print process would seem to be the most effective to me. It would be less room than a multi-head press and offer precise registration --- but that would be a challenge without prior experience.

The other thing to consider is the size of screen required to accommodate your image area and control the ink. Thats a big screen for someone new to get used to.

Then too, the screens cannot be stored for an extended period of time without suffering some distortion as the mesh relaxes. So the trapping of colors will need to be taken into consideration --- if you're thinking that you will hold the screens and print one-offs on demand.

In your other posts it sounds like you are debating whether you want to maintain your business as a lifestyle or if you want to be profitable. Keeping the work inhouse and spending the money to learn how to screen print would be a lifestyle choice. Spending the money to outsource some elements of production would be the profitable choice.

Personally, I'd think you could find a Merchant Member or local sign shop to print direct to substrate, router cut the pieces, throw some screws in a box and offer the product as a ready to assemble kit to the retailers....

Welcome to the Forum.

RobbyMac

Heck, even getting paintmask computer cut may bump your production time if you are handcutting all of your masks. Then you only have one setup for each logo, then mere minutes to spit out each paintmask.