• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP VINYL LETTERING NOT STICKING TO WALLS!!

depps74

I've had several installs where my vinyl lettering will not stick without lots of tricky holding and peeling of the transfer tape. My research shows this has been due to certain types of paint, color and paint off gassing.

The vinyl brand I use is Oracal 631 and 651. I don't really have any other options because there is no other brand that makes a matte finish.

Any tips, tricks or insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Billct2

No insight here, I test first and if it doesn't stick I give other options, like repainting, putting it on a panel or doing a wall wrap (which requires repainting anyhow)

Dan360

Yea, we always test first. You could try printing the colours or laminate the coloured film onto something with a more aggressive adhesive and then run it through your cutter.

SkyHighJK

Use some alcohol on the wall, with a brillo pad. You need to essentially strip the paint of glycols before most adhesives will stick. (New paints are much better for the environment, but kinda of a PITA for adhesive applications.) Regular isopropyl alcohol will work but ideally you want to use denatured alcohol.
-jk

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I think 651 isn't going to work. Even if you get it to work it will come off. I always use 751 and then heat it to form it to the wall.

ikarasu

You can always use a Matte overlam and overlam whatever color you want...

Lots of places make Matte vinyl though... 3M Makes some, Avery makes some... They're more expensive than oracal, but tend to work a bit better.

Pippin Decals

Check with the customer if they know what type of paint was used...The type of paint used on the walls can be the biggest factor.You dont want it to be marker or stain resistant paint..Let your customer know up front of possible factors if it is resistant paint to protect yourself... .. Try a sample piece of 631 if you need to ..If it holds pretty good then you should be safe with 631 . If it takes a lot more effort to get it to stick you may have a problem.... I use oracal 631 all the time on walls. Make sure you have the correct transfer tape for 631,And i always rub the wall down with rubbing alcohol. You really dont want to use 651. It will sometimes adhere to much and if the customer ends up removing the vinyl at some point it may remove the paint and pull part of the drywall with it, then you will be liable for that repair..I use this transfer tape from uscutter- ORATAPE HT55 High Tack Decorative Film Transfer Tape for 631 Vinyl. And you may have to give some extra rub into the design when applying it to wall if its not very smooth. Then spray a light mist of light soapy water to soften the transtape only( Dont let the moisture get behind the transtape and vinyl) and pull it away as close as possible against the wall like at a 45 degree angle when peeling . If you have to use 651 let them know it may cause surface damage if removed .. Should have no problems.