• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with Backlit Acrylic Logo

AKProbeGT

I have a customer looking for a backlit acrylic logo as part of a much larger job we are bidding on. We are just getting into more electrical signs and I've never done anything like this so I'm looking for some pointers or suggestions. The customer wants the main text and logo to glow blue and green. My plan is to get all the lettering cut out of 1/4" acrylic that will be stud mounted to the wall, probably about 1/2" off the wall. The LED modules will be stuck to the back of the acrylic. Where is a good place to purchase LEDs, specifically green and blue? Grimco shows green but not blue. How do I determine how many LEDs can be on a transformer? Any other suggestions or pointers from someone who has done this before? Attached is a sample layout with the name changed and logo modified but this gives a general idea what we are planning for. Customer has a full time electrician who will do the hook up.

Attachments

• Help Lobby.jpg
    Help Lobby.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 187

visual800

You do not stud mount backlit letters. Your best bet is the build small shallow box with push thru acrylic letters and light the box its self OR shallow metal halo lit letters

you could order gemini fabricated letters painted to match logo and halo light them with leds. Looks like 1 power supply should handle that

AKProbeGT

Is there a specific reason for not using flat cut acrylic? Where this is mounted back in that cove no one will see the modules. I don't think they will go for push through letters. It really isn't what they described. I could probably do the fabricated letters from Gemini if these aren't too small but I imagine that will be a lot more expensive than acrylic.

Z SIGNS

You do not stud mount backlit letters. Your best bet is the build small shallow box with push thru acrylic letters and light the box its self OR shallow metal halo lit letters

you could order gemini fabricated letters painted to match logo and halo light them with leds. Looks like 1 power supply should handle that
Your right.Putting led 's behind flat stud mounted letters is cheesy way to get a halo.
The problem is as soon as it's viewed from a 45 degree angle you see the unsightly pinpoints

The pros will tell you the best way to achieve this is to have a reverse channel with a clear back with led pointing forward and light splashing back.

But sometimes you can get away with it.
Depends on where it's being viewed from.

Here are few we recently did that are viewed only straight on so it works
Looks like from the op's picture you could get away with it.
Just need to hide the wires.

Every sign supplier sells led's.
You can start your education here
http://sloanled.com/

Hope this helps

artworks.jpg

Attachments

• walker.jpg
    walker.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 123